Micro Kristal (not so) Klear !!!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

aussie cylon

Micro Kristal (not so) Klear !!!

Post by aussie cylon »

Hi all,

I've been real busy totally modifying an old Lindberg UFO model, the same as used in the movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space". Really happy with the modifications I did. A lot of led and fibre optic lighting etc. I'm in a bit of a rush to finish this for the Sandown Model Expo which is held over the Queens Birthday long weekend in a couple of months.

So here I am, plodding along and feeling real good about my progress, when I hit a snag. And when I say snag, I mean "I think I just stuffed up."

As you can see from the photo, I added some dials to the cockpit, and decided in my infinite wisdom, to create a "lens" over the individual dials, because, well, as we all know, we all tend to think...."oh it will look really cool if....."

So, I used a toothpick to place a drop of Micro Kristal Klear over the individual dials (well, ok, maybe it was a few drops!), and was really excited about my stroke of genius. Well, to say that I'm pretty disappointed in the outcome is an understatement. The resulting "lens" is NOT kristal klear, it is a sort of milky white kinda transparent mess. It kinda looks a bit like PVA glue when it's semi dried. What happened? Did I use too much? Was I supposed to put a little bit on and wait for it to dry before putting more on if needed? Is the weather too cold? Do I have to wait a few more days for it to dry clear? I have no idea why it's not Kristal Klear, but I have to live with it now and hope that it improves after a few days.

Well, here's the pic, so if anyone can let me know what I did wrong, or if you know of a better product, please comment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/109040522 ... ed-public/
Andrew Gorman

Re: Micro Kristal (not so) Klear !!!

Post by Andrew Gorman »

It looks like PVA glue because that is pretty much what it is. It may eventually clear up. Other possibilities could be using some clear epoxy-prone to bubbles, some clear enamel, or cut the tops off of some tiny googly eyes. I'd give it some time to dry, or start over and build the domes up in layers.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

Well, I've got this thing hanging in front of the heater at the moment, so hopefully it would dry a bit and actually do what it's supposed to do...turn Kristal Klear...!! It's been a cuppla days now, and I haven't seen any improvement, so I think I just stuffed up a real nice modified ufo model. ](*,)

If I had known that Micro Kristal Klear was little more than PVA glue, I wouldn't have bought it!! I've got a big container of PVA in the damn garage!!

Good tip about using clear coat, I can't believe I didn't think of that before!!

Ah well, I'll post here if any improvements occur.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I have no solution I'm afraid, but in the future the best thing I've found is UV resin. Most craft stores carry it now (it's used a lot in polymer clay work), but you do have to get a UV light of some kind. The ones for nails are convenient and fairly cheap now on the Ali/ebay/Wish of your choice.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depending on the thickness it can take several weeks to fully cure out. zI've yet to have any not cure clear, eventually. Thin layers will cure out fster but if you rush them a bit you'll still end up wuth a layer going opaque and take a while to cure out. Watch Crystal cement or Testor's Canopy cement will cure a bit faster.
Abolish Alliteration
widget

Post by widget »

In place of the Kristal Kleer,would have using a drop of the current flavor of Future forming a meniscus worked ?
This IS my sig.
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

Thanks for the comments and tips guys. But I've solved my problem....yeah, I pulled out the dials and dashboard, and started again. :|

I'm using the Kristal Klear to glue new dials onto a sheet of clear plastic, face down, so the clear plastic is the 'lens' when flipped over. Hopefully this will look good when installed into the dashboard from behind.

As to using Future, well, that stuff isn't available in Australia. I have an alternative called 'Pascoe's Long Life Self-Shining Floor Polish', which is apparently a very similar product, but once again, I can't believe I didn't think of using it... :oops:

And yes, when I pulled out the dials, the 'lenses' were actually quite thick, much to my amazement and disbelief. So, waiting for these damn things to dry over several weeks really wasn't an option. What if they didn't really cure and remained hazy? It would totally ruin all the hard word I've put into this model.

As for UV Resin, I've seen that stuff on eBay, quite cheap, but never thought about using it. Anyone tried it to make lenses? I think it should work, as long as it dries clear.

I'll let you guys know how this turns out, stay tuned....
widget

Post by widget »

After a little digging,I found this page for you:
http://aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Revi ... delit.html
This IS my sig.
StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

As is the case with a number of products - the conditions under which it is used can affect the results.

A: Age - how long have you had it, or how long was it in stock? Old sometimes means shot...

B: Humidity - was it a warm humid day? This stuff will soak up a bit of that humidity - and that will slow down the curing time (if it ever cures).

It is basically very thin PVA (old school white glue) so, anything that would affect the results with Elmer's will affect this product as well.

As others have noted, there are a bunch of other solutions to creating "glass" for instruments or headlights.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's mantra
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

widget wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:03 pm After a little digging,I found this page for you:
http://aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Revi ... delit.html
When I click on your link, it takes me to the page, but when I click on the link mentioned in the article, it's a dead link......too bad, it sounds promising :(
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

OK guys, time for an update on how my dials turned out. To say that I'm thrilled with the results is an understatement. I just noticed that my original post link to my photo is dead, so here is what I started out with:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/109040522 ... 561626101/

You can see what my dilemma was. Here is what I have now:

And here it is all lit up:

And here it is with the alien pilot at the controls:

Yep, I'm thrilled with the results, it's almost a shame that the alien's hands cover up some of the dials, but it looks awesome.....

If you're familiar with this kit, you will immediately notice that this has been extensively modified. Too many modifications to mention here, but suffice to say, I did A LOT.

Maybe I should post this WIP build up in "On The Bench"......

Cheers
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

aussie cylon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 am If you're familiar with this kit, you will immediately notice that this has been extensively modified. Too many modifications to mention here, but suffice to say, I did A LOT.

Maybe I should post this WIP build up in "On The Bench"......
Well.....I did. I've started "PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE....WELL, NOT REALLY!!!" over at "On The Bench". So go and check out my WIP pics.

cheers