Tamiya Electric Drill, and micro drill bits

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

slookabill

Tamiya Electric Drill, and micro drill bits

Post by slookabill »

I recently bought and built the Tamiya Electric Drill, and now trying to get it to work with some micro drill bits (.5 and .25mm). I can't seem to find a collet or figure out the modifications necesary to get these to work together. Any ideas/suggestions. I tried to get the Dremel Collet's but the smallest one still can't hold the .5mm bit, though someone has suggested using tape to increase it's thickness
Harumph

Re: Tamiya Electric Drill, and micro drill bits

Post by Harumph »

I bought this a couple year's ago and it works great for me. I've been able to use many different small bits and micro bits with the set.
slookabill

Post by slookabill »

Harumph wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:37 pm I bought this a couple year's ago and it works great for me. I've been able to use many different small bits and micro bits with the set.
Just got them today... and they don't get small enough for the .5 and .25 mm bits.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Look for a "micro drill chuck"- a google search will conjure up a bunch of options. I am not familiar with the Tamiya tool, so can't say if it will fit in to the business end.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Tesral

Post by Tesral »

If you have access a Jacobs 0-B chuck. I got one some 40 years ago through the tool crib. I cut a shaft to mount it to the Dremel tool. It's heavy for the Dremel so I use it sparingly. I ruined one tool with the high speed use of the beast.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i used wrap the smaller drill bits in electrical tape so that it will hold it. you have to go slower so that the lowered friction won' make it slip. but it does work. but i got a little battery operated dremel for chrismas. this was one of those crappy $5 ones that they sell in the isles at kohls, sears, ect. it was worthless by itself. but it came with a set of really micro collet sets that would fit into my dremmel. so those were kinda priceless. i've been keeping my eyes out for another one of those sets just so i can get another set of those collets.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Tesral

Post by Tesral »

raser13 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 pm i used wrap the smaller drill bits in electrical tape so that it will hold it. you have to go slower so that the lowered friction won' make it slip. but it does work. but i got a little battery operated dremel for chrismas. this was one of those crappy $5 ones that they sell in the isles at kohls, sears, ect. it was worthless by itself. but it came with a set of really micro collet sets that would fit into my dremmel. so those were kinda priceless. i've been keeping my eyes out for another one of those sets just so i can get another set of those collets.
Tell me when you find it and what it is.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net