clear resin curing

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

clear resin curing

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Does clear resin take a longer time to cure than regular resin? Last week I tried out creating silicone molds for resin casting for the first time. I cast some flight decks of a carrier ship from Yamato in clear. I injected the clear resin Saturday afternoon. After 24 hours, I took one out of its mold and it was floppy. I used Tamiya clear resin. Then I read the instructions and they say, "If the part is small or thin, the heat generated during hardening may be too low and complete hardening may require more time (3-5 days)." Well, these parts are rather thin, since they are flat carrier decks. The one I took out looks alright. I just set it on my shelf to let it harden over the next few more days.

Is this typical of clear resin, or is this perhaps a deal with Tamiya's clear resin?
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Rocketeer

Re: clear resin curing

Post by Rocketeer »

I've found that clear epoxy resins are pretty sensitive to temperature, so once I've poured a clear part I take it into the furnace room and support it above my furnace in the warmth. If your carrier deck stays soft, you might try setting it somewhere warm for a few days.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Re: clear resin curing

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Thanks. The instructions did mention about helping the curing process. It was rather warm last week, but this weekend it suddenly became cold again. I can try setting the molds on the window sill to hopefully let the sun warm them up. At least the one that I haven't yet opened.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"