Greeblie Organization!

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Rinny

Greeblie Organization!

Post by Rinny »

Maybe I'm just weird, but I love organizing and outfitting my modeling space as much as I love modeling in it! There's something very satisfying about having a space all to one's self to organize any way you see fit. I'm curious how people organize their greeblie collections, especially parts from other models. Do you just dump it all into a box? Do you have lots of little organizers and categorize things by shape? Do you leave model parts on the sprue or cut them from the sprue so you can see them more easily? Pictures welcome!
Andrew Gorman

Re: Greeblie Organization!

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Lots of little organizers here! I don't build anything out of the box so I usually break down any kits as soon as they come in. If I had the space I would keep everything in the original boxes, but I do not. One of the may compromises made to live in a city.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I have a dozen or so little drawers labeled as to what's in them. Roundy things, pointy things, really tiny things, flat plates, tubes, etc...
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Ziplocks - lots and lots of ziplocks. Big, med., small; these are set into cardboard drink-can tray/boxes, which in turn are set into clear storage totes. Not a perfect solution, but it *does* cut down the amount of time spent on the endless parts hunts...
________
Joe Brown
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Oh and then there is Box.

Which has my PE, Adler's Nest, Wave, Bandai Builders parts, Kotobukiya, Hi-Q, Kandi Korp, Evergreen, & Plastruct bits. It's a lot of plastic & metal packed into a plastic file box.
Abolish Alliteration
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

i currently have 4, 18 gallon storage bins of 1 gallon ziploc baggies full of parts. and 1 full of main hulls like the reliant saucer or the republic star destroyer hull. not to mention the half a dozen or so kit boxes that are for greeblies as well.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

My desk collection Image
Abolish Alliteration
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

I have a condition I call greeble-freeze.

I collect greebles, but then want an entire scratch-built hull to go along with perhaps one greeble. The tops of some champoo containers look to be good Romulan plasma weapons--but I need a whole hull that is worthy of that one bit.

I could never just glue any old greeble on styrene--there has to be old CRT housings to fit what I would like to do.

Anybody else feel that way?
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I have my kit parts sorted by type: aircraft, cars, armor, warships, sci-fi, Star Trek, Star Wars, miscellaneous. Each of these is subdivided into part types: armor - long bits, armor - medium bits, armor - small bits, armor - tread links, armor - clear bits, armor - figures, armor - hulls.

I also have boxes and boxes of big and small objects, like old toys and random plastic parts, as well as stock and sheet boxes.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Tesral

Post by Tesral »

Organize...greeblies? You can do that?
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Indeed. Like things go with like. I like the cheap multi-compartment boxes with a space for tiny fins, big fins, little round stuff, oval things(not easy to find) etc. My only regret is the big box of "stuff to re-file" that builds up over a very brief time. Stillborn projects go into a ziploc in a perfect world.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Andrew Gorman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 am ...My only regret is the big box of "stuff to re-file" that builds up over a very brief time.
I hear that. There was a time when all my Lego was sorted & organized by shape (and some even by color). A decade later I've got 3 banker boxes of unsorted pieces. *sigh*
Abolish Alliteration
Tesral

Post by Tesral »

Kylwell wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:06 pm
Andrew Gorman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 am ...My only regret is the big box of "stuff to re-file" that builds up over a very brief time.
I hear that. There was a time when all my Lego was sorted & organized by shape (and some even by color). A decade later I've got 3 banker boxes of unsorted pieces. *sigh*
No stone to throw there. Lots of boxes. Bins to sort them too.

The greebles all end up in one drawer of the toolbox.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I keep three boxes- large, real small and things that are just plain neat looking for a destiny.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

Basically in a couple of cardboard boxes. The last time I did anything really greeblie intensive was my modification of the mystery ship.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... 39&t=90373
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER