Clear coat to use over silver

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Clear coat to use over silver

Post by raser13 »

Hey guys and gals, I've hit a weird conundrum. I've been trying to put a clear coat over a piece that I've painted silver. As soon as I apply any clear coat over it, it turns milky white. I've used several different silver paints and metalisers. As well as several clear paints. All with pretty much the same results.

Is there a silver/metaliser that won't become cloudy? Or a clear coat that won't cloud the silver? Or do I just have to mask that area and just not clear over the silver?

Please help, I'm just stumped on this one. I've never noticed this happening on small areas that I've silvered in the past. But this one has a large area. I just never expected fir this to happen.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Rogviler

Re: Clear coat to use over silver

Post by Rogviler »

Have you tried doing a barrier of Future first before your clear?

Most, if not all, metallic paints seem to sort of de-homogenize when you put clear on them. My favorite, Ace Rust Stop Aluminum, does this so I've learned to avoid any kind of clear over it. I can sneak some on there with very light coats, but I'd rather not. In my experience it ruins the metallic effect anyway. The Ace stuff is damn near chrome, but with clear it looks like silver craft paint. You may find it's not the look you want after all.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well, first what silvers & clear coats have you used? Spray can, brush, or airbrush?
Abolish Alliteration
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

Both rattle cans and hand paints. My airbrush has died. I've used testors in both can and bottle. Most every rattle can of metalic paint I could find at local stores. Same with the clears. I've even tried some flats and Satan's to see if they might have a different effect. Even tried both metallics and clears in fingernail polish.

I haven't use future yet because I haven't been able to find more since my almost 10 year old bottle ran out last year. Any ideas where to get more. I really need to find money more. Why would they get rid of such an awesome polish? It worked on everything.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Alclad II Aqua Gloss Klear Kote Varnish (ALC600) is chemically almost identical to Future. I've not tried hand-painting this on, but it coats well enough with a cheap spray-gun until you replace your airbrush. It goes on Alclad finishes without destroying the metallic look.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

seam-filler wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 am Alclad II Aqua Gloss Klear Kote Varnish (ALC600) is chemically almost identical to Future. I've not tried hand-painting this on, but it coats well enough with a cheap spray-gun until you replace your airbrush. It goes on Alclad finishes without destroying the metallic look.
Is there any advantage to using Aqua-Gloss over Future? Other than knowing what Aqua-Gloss is called today?

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Availability only. I believe that Future is known in the US as something different - if it's available t all. It was known as Klear in the UK and what is now known as Klear is quite different and perfectly useless for modelling. I know it had a different name in Australia, but I understand it hasn't available at all for years.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

admiralcag wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:50 am
seam-filler wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 am Alclad II Aqua Gloss Klear Kote Varnish (ALC600) is chemically almost identical to Future. I've not tried hand-painting this on, but it coats well enough with a cheap spray-gun until you replace your airbrush. It goes on Alclad finishes without destroying the metallic look.
Is there any advantage to using Aqua-Gloss over Future? Other than knowing what Aqua-Gloss is called today?

Vern
Aqua gloss cures faster and smoother than Future. It's airbrush ready straight out of the bottle whereas Future tends to get thicker over time. Disadvantage is it costs more.
Abolish Alliteration
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

seam-filler wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:55 am Availability only. I believe that Future is known in the US as something different - if it's available t all.
First it was "Future." Then it was "Pledge with Future Shine." Then it was "Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish." Now it's "Pledge revive it":

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
raser13

Post by raser13 »

Awesome now I know what im looking for