Adhesive-backed Foil

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Adhesive-backed Foil

Post by DeltaVee »

This would include Bare Metal Foil or Microscale adhesive applied to foil. Does it matter whether I apply it to a gloss finish or a flat finish? Will it still rub down smooth? The model is glossed now. I'd rather wait till it's flat coated so I don't have to try to protect the shiny finish from a flat coat. If I apply it to a gloss finish and then spray the model with flat coat, can I bring back the foil shinniness with some Future? Anybody tried this?
Rocketeer

Re: Adhesive-backed Foil

Post by Rocketeer »

DeltaVee wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:13 pm ...Does it matter whether I apply it to a gloss finish or a flat finish? Will it still rub down smooth? ...If I apply it to a gloss finish and then spray the model with flat coat, can I bring back the foil shinniness with some Future? Anybody tried this?
1. The foil is so thin, any underlying texture shows through, so if you want a really smooth shiny chrome look, I'd use a gloss finish underneath the foil.

2. I think you could bring back the shine (after dull coating) by applying a gloss coat; I've never tried it, but I'm pretty sure it would work. Heck, do a test if you're not sure!
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

BMF will stick to either surface. A flat surface can mar from the excess foil if you use the trim method.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks, guys. Dave, I hadn't thought of that. But if you're saying that if you lay down a big piece and rub down the general area and then trim out what I don't need, the excess will mar the surrounding paint, that's a good thought. I always wondered how BMF stuck since it didn't feel sticky. It is darn like superglue and probably harder to get up. I'll probably cut to fit first and apply to a glossy surface. Using it to simulate warp nacelle lighting.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

DeltaVee wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:20 pm Thanks, guys. Dave, I hadn't thought of that. But if you're saying that if you lay down a big piece and rub down the general area and then trim out what I don't need, the excess will mar the surrounding paint, that's a good thought. I always wondered how BMF stuck since it didn't feel sticky. It is darn like superglue and probably harder to get up. I'll probably cut to fit first and apply to a glossy surface. Using it to simulate warp nacelle lighting.
I build more auto models than anything....so lots of BNF use.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

DeltaVee wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:20 pm Thanks, guys. Dave, I hadn't thought of that. But if you're saying that if you lay down a big piece and rub down the general area and then trim out what I don't need, the excess will mar the surrounding paint, that's a good thought. I always wondered how BMF stuck since it didn't feel sticky. It is darn like superglue and probably harder to get up. I'll probably cut to fit first and apply to a glossy surface. Using it to simulate warp nacelle lighting.
BMF is not especially sticky, so it's perfectly safe to cut the pieces of foil oversize, burnish them into place, trim around the edges using a sharp Xacto knife (one tip is to paint the knife blade black, which helps you see what you're doing), then peel off the excess foil. Any remaining adhesive will come off with alcohol.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks guys. Good info. Well, I know the microsale stuff sticks like... glue.
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

I've also heard of another technique. You cut a small piece of BMF to cover the part you want chrome. There is a very small amount of overlap around the part. Stick the BMF down over the part. You then proceed to paint the car body, (for example), then use thinner to very gently dissolve the paint off the top of the part, thus revealing the chrome. The excess BMF around the part is covered with paint and hardly noticeable, if at all. Look on some auto forums, that's pretty much the way they do it.