NEW: flickering SMDs

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

NEW: flickering SMDs

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Jerry at HDA Modelworx has requested his factory to custom make flickering 0805 SMDs. AFAIK, nobody else has these. He's sent me red, blue, yellow, green, white, and warm white flickering SMDs and these are pretty cool. My mind is working on what I could use these on. These are neat.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
SpaceRanger1

Re: NEW: flickering SMDs

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

I've found regular flickering LEDs at Dollar General in the form of faux "tea candles." Take 'em out of their faux candle holder and remove the faux silicone rubber "flame" and you've got 'em. For a buck each you can't go wrong.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
brt

Post by brt »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm Jerry at HDA Modelworx has requested his factory to custom make flickering 0805 SMDs. AFAIK, nobody else has these. He's sent me red, blue, yellow, green, white, and warm white flickering SMDs and these are pretty cool. My mind is working on what I could use these on. These are neat.
My mind says damaged ships. Scar and cut open hulls and have a flickering LED out of sight flashing like a fire or electricity.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

SpaceRanger1 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm I've found regular flickering LEDs at Dollar General in the form of faux "tea candles." Take 'em out of their faux candle holder and remove the faux silicone rubber "flame" and you've got 'em. For a buck each you can't go wrong.
Like I said, these are SMDs. Flickering LEDs are nothing new. But flickering SMDs are a custom request to the manufacturer.

As far as trusting my models with dollar store throw away electronics, I'm not sure it's even worth the work of prying open such stuff to remove the LEDs. I mean, if you've had no problems and have done adequate burn tests, then by all means use them. I'm just a bit wary myself.
brt wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am My mind says damaged ships. Scar and cut open hulls and have a flickering LED out of sight flashing like a fire or electricity.
Great idea!
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm
SpaceRanger1 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm I've found regular flickering LEDs at Dollar General in the form of faux "tea candles." Take 'em out of their faux candle holder and remove the faux silicone rubber "flame" and you've got 'em. For a buck each you can't go wrong.
Like I said, these are SMDs. Flickering LEDs are nothing new. But flickering SMDs are a custom request to the manufacturer.

As far as trusting my models with dollar store throw away electronics, I'm not sure it's even worth the work of prying open such stuff to remove the LEDs. I mean, if you've had no problems and have done adequate burn tests, then by all means use them. I'm just a bit wary myself.
Right. I understood what you posted, and flickering SMDs are a great idea. But if an SMD is not required, those tea candle LEDs are a viable alternative. I've had no issues with "dollar store throwaway" LEDs. They seem to be the same LEDs sold elsewhere for much more.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark