Need a good quality water based primer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

srspicer

Need a good quality water based primer

Post by srspicer »

Hello all,

I am looking for a water based primer. I have a large, 2ft., model I have to cover. Lacquer or enamel rattle can primer could melt some of the fine details. I would like to airbrush on the primer, since the primer will also be the finish.

I will be spraying mostly styrene but also metal parts as well.

I will also need it in large bottles due to the amount I need.

Thanks in advance for any help!
jpolacchi

Re: Need a good quality water based primer

Post by jpolacchi »

How about Tamiya acrylics?
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Using acrylic paints I discovered they will not stick to bare styrene so you'll need to paint your model with an enamel.
Normal?? What is normal??
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I just like to use Mr. Surfacer. Sometimes other primers,but I like that one specifically.Than you can finish in whatever you like for the most part.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hi Scott

I absolutely LOVE Badger Stynylrez Primers! I've pretty much given up on rattlecan primers on everything now.

Just have a google for reviews!

Airbrushable, and comes in quite a range of colours now.

Ant
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I'm relatively unfamiliar with "water based primers".I'd think that most water based primers would be 'too heavy" and cover up finer details than a solvent based primer would,but maybe I'm wrong?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

jpolacchi wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:07 pm I'm relatively unfamiliar with "water based primers".I'd think that most water based primers would be 'too heavy" and cover up finer details than a solvent based primer would,but maybe I'm wrong?
I wouldn't necessarily say so. The "heaviness" would depend entirely on the grain-size of the pigment. Badger Stynylrez is specifically designed for airbrushes with very fine pigment grain. As usual, a few light coats are far better than one or two heavy coats
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I'll have to give it a go then.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

irishtrek wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 am Using acrylic paints I discovered they will not stick to bare styrene so you'll need to paint your model with an enamel.
That's about all I use and I have had no problems with adhesion.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

The white Tamiya primer from the rattle can is excellent stuff, with very fine pigments - a great option if you do not have an airbrush.

Standard grey acrylic car primer (also rattle can) is IMHO also an option. Not as fine as the Tamiya stuff, but with multiple thin coats (instead of trying to do the job in just one rush) you get very good results, and the stuff sticks well to anything, even vinyl, and creates a very good basis for further coats of almost any paint.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Has anyone out there dabbled with urethane primers and paints?It may not be a good option/choice on styrene kits,but I don't think would be harmful to resin kits.Thoughts,opinions...suggestions...advice?
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

EVApodman wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:45 pm
irishtrek wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 am Using acrylic paints I discovered they will not stick to bare styrene so you'll need to paint your model with an enamel.
That's about all I use and I have had no problems with adhesion.
When I mask and remove the tape once the second color paint has dried the acrylic paint comes off along with the masking tape.
I should have explained better.
Normal?? What is normal??
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

irishtrek wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 pmWhen I mask and remove the tape once the second color paint has dried the acrylic paint comes off along with the masking tape.
I should have explained better.
There really should be no reason why acrylic primers should come away from styrene (or ABS) so easily. That should be doubly so for acrylic coats on top of a primer. A lot of us have been using acrylics for decades without major lifting issues.

A few things you could try here. First, make sure you wash your model parts in warm, slightly soapy water before you start anything. You may even try using a mild degreaser before you paint. Second, your masking tape may be too adhesive. Before you apply it for masking, lay it on a clean surface and then peel it off - this will 'de-tack' it sufficiently so that it won't lift the paint. Don't leave masking on any longer than you need - the longer you leave tape on, the more the adhesive will bond to the paint it's stuck to.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If you're looking for a water soluble base coat I'd recommend Vallejo's acrylic-polyurethane surface primer. It's big drawback is it's not sandable for about a week, depending on your humidity.
Abolish Alliteration
srspicer

Post by srspicer »

Ant wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 am Hi Scott

I absolutely LOVE Badger Stynylrez Primers! I've pretty much given up on rattlecan primers on everything now.

Just have a google for reviews!

Airbrushable, and comes in quite a range of colours now.

Ant
Hey Ant! Thanks for the info. I had asked about the primer in another thread for a customer/student of mine, totally forgot about the product!
Watched some reviews, and I am going to order some. The name is derived from combining styrene, vinyl and resin. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the input!