Enamels and Arcylics together

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

Enamels and Arcylics together

Post by nanook177 »

Wel they stick to each other? Can I put down a layer of acrylic followed by a layer or detail painting of enamel? Thank you!
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

If you're talking about Testors Model Master paints then yes because as I recall some one a year or 2 ago stated that all Testors paints are formulated to go on top of one another.
Normal?? What is normal??
Andy_USA

Post by Andy_USA »

Normal rule of thumb is enamel first then acrylic else you run the risk of the enamels lifting the acrylics. This said I will say that the only time I do not use a flat enamel as a primer coat is if I a working on a vinyl kit. Acrylic paint does not bite or etch into plastic like enamels do. This really becomes am issued when masking, then your masking medium tends to peel paint. By sing a FLAT enamel as a base coat it bite into the plastic and provides the acrylic paint something to stick to. Small bits of enamel paint can be used over acrylic but only after the acrylic paint has had time to dry well, other wise the differing cur times can cause the top coat to orange peel and/or blister.
Please pray for America, she is still sick !!! :(
Stay Safe, Mask Up
Andy_USA :rifles:
eeun

Post by eeun »

I've not had a problem with either as the base and the other on top - eventually. With enamels or alkyds as the base - at least the older ones I used - it was important to make sure they've finished outgassing/curing before applying the acrylic top (aka "how I learned to make a crackle finish") :oops: .
World's Tallest Jawa!
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

You can use them both together. However since they use different types of solvent you have to be SURE that one is completely dry before to overlay the other. This is the rule.