Deflector Dish Color

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Go4Fun

Deflector Dish Color

Post by Go4Fun »

I looked but haven't found any reference here to the color. Pictures show to many varieties of color. Is it copper or brass?
I'll be building it probably and found many helpful references here at SM.
"Go in peace." The Captain said as he launched the planet destroyer.
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

I like to use Humbrol 171 Antique Bronze
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

If you're talking about TOS deflector dish then yes it is copper, or atleast supposed to be any way.
Normal?? What is normal??
Go4Fun

Post by Go4Fun »

Yes the Pre-TOS era actually. But I figure once they build a good dish they would keep using it. Sort of like war ships: most of the improvements to the rafars have been in the electronics and the computer programing for tht last decade.
Thanks for the color advice. Building the dish itself should prove a new challenge but there is lots of advice on that in Starship Modeler.
"Go in peace." The Captain said as he launched the planet destroyer.
CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD »

The thing about the 1701 dishes is, that on the Pilot model and early 33 inch study model, there was uneven weathering that gave it an "impacted" look, while on the later Production cut-down dishes the grime seemed to be more evenly distributed, with the rings inside the dish very shaded. The spike wave guide antenna is, of course, silver on all versions.
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?