Brush-on clear coat that won't remove paint?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CrockAlley

Brush-on clear coat that won't remove paint?

Post by CrockAlley »

Hi,

I'm new at painting. I've been using Tamiya and Testors Model Masters acrylics.

I've brushed on Testors Flat Clear Acryl and Testors Semi Gloss Acryl on separate pieces, and the results range from minor paint lifting onto the brush, to outright stripping the paint off as I brush. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I've finished painting my first pieces, and I'm desperate to seal them and be done.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I've also tried Tamiya Flat Base, but that turns white when it dries! Yikes!
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Future/Pledge floor shine??? I've used it fo 25 years. Gloss can be dulled a bit if needed by the way you apply.
dwomby

Post by dwomby »

The famous Future floor coating has never lifted any paint that I've applied it to.

See here for more:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

David
David A. Womby
CrockAlley

Post by CrockAlley »

Thanks for the replies! I have some Future coming to me in the mail, so I'll certainly give it a try. I'm looking for a fairly flat finish. Does applying a flat clear coat over Future result in a decent reduction of gloss? I did get a can of Dullcote, but I'm not a fan of sprays.

Anyway, I guess I've got some experimenting to do. I would never have guessed that the finishing would be the most complicated part!
eeun

Post by eeun »

You can apply a flat over Future, including Dullcoat. You can also mix Future with Tamiya flat and still end up with a nice matte finish, or satin, semi-gloss, etc. depending on the amount of flat you add.

There's a whole thread on Future right here with some good mix recipes.
World's Tallest Jawa!