Airbrushing beginning help... Please!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

Airbrushing beginning help... Please!

Post by nanook177 »

I just spent the past 3 hours trying to get my Paasche VL to work. I was able to get distilled water to flow for a few minutes, but nothing else. No color, no paint no nothing. The jar under the brush is bubbling everytime I engage the brush. HELP! I am so angry and frustrated right now I am ready to throw my brush and compressor into the St. Clair River! :(
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Check these three things:
1) make sure the breather hole in the top of the jar lid is open and clear.
2) make sure the nozzle and aircap assembly are tight on the front of the airbrush. Also check for any damage at the end of the nozzle. If you have some beeswax, rub a little on the threads before you assemble the pieces.
3) if these two things are okay and the thing still doesn't spray, then take off the nozzle and aircap assembly and soak them in lacquer thinner for a few hours along with the front end of the body.

If it still won't spray, replace the needle compression washer at the back of the airbrush body. Refer to the parts diagram to see where it is... You need a small screwdriver to remove it.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Have you thinned your paint enough? Usually to the consistency of skim milk. Amount of thinner depends on what paint you're using.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I hated my Paasche VL. Spent more time cleaning than brushing.

But enough about that.

Are you using the paint cup or bottle? What pressure are you using? Is the needle properly set and using the right combination?
Abolish Alliteration
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

Ok, here's the latest:
I cleaned this thing as much as I am aware of without completely stripping it down (removed everything in front down to the needle) with simple green, undiluted and it's bubbling worse than before; it won't even pass water now. There was some crud on the tip of the needle, but i removed it. Also, the needle does not look bent. I am running at about 30psi and using the bottle. This is REALLY starting to tick me off... >(
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Have you shot any lacquers through it? Might have destroyed the seals.

As stated above, make sure the vent hole in the bottle lid is open & clear of obstructions. Then make sure you have the right needle with the right tip. You've got some kind of blockage on the air side, causing the air to vent into the bottle instead of siphoning the paint up. I'd take the head apart, make sure you don't have any globs & re-assemble. You may need to do some delicate cleaning of the tip, I use q-tips dipped in cleaner.
Abolish Alliteration
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

Kylwell wrote:Have you shot any lacquers through it? Might have destroyed the seals.

As stated above, make sure the vent hole in the bottle lid is open & clear of obstructions. Then make sure you have the right needle with the right tip. You've got some kind of blockage on the air side, causing the air to vent into the bottle instead of siphoning the paint up. I'd take the head apart, make sure you don't have any globs & re-assemble. You may need to do some delicate cleaning of the tip, I use q-tips dipped in cleaner.
I thought I did that... Hmmm... I'll attack it again tomorrow. The thing that's a real punch in the mouth is it's essentially a new brush! It was in storage, sealed, for about 4 years (We lost out home and I got side tracked), so, theoretically, it should have worked immediately. :(
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depending on the temp & humidity the seals could have easily broken down (they're meant to be used) from dry rot and stuck to the needle and via air, the tip.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Here are several things to try.

Remove the needle and tip. There are a series of holes in the nozzle. unscrew the tip of the nozzle and hold the nozzle up to the light. Make sure none of those holes are clogged. There are also two holes in the body were the nozzle threads are located. Make sure those are clear as well. If the brush sat a while I would listen to Kylwell and look to replace the air valve O ring.

http://www.myfortune3cart.com/paascheai ... -31-11.pdf
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

So, um... Yeah... I guess it really helps if I remove the protective cap first before trying to use an airbrush... Sorry everyone... I'm a total noob or nugget when it comes to airbrushing... :P Thanks for all the help, though. My airbrush now works perfectly and is REALLY clean. :) *Gibbs slaps self*