Cheep lighting kits

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

chiver

Cheep lighting kits

Post by chiver »

I have a few star ships to light. And am looking for some cheep lighting kits, or even a few DIY with instructions, any ideas? Also I don't have very much experence with circuit boards
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
brt

Post by brt »

Check out Madman lighting kits here in the SSM store.
chiver

Post by chiver »

The Ssm store is sold out, and was hopin thee was something cheeper then 60 bucks
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

You could always try Easy LED - cut the strips, connect with solderless connectors, attach to a 9V battery terminal. Nothing easier.

Carried in the SSM store: http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.c ... grafix.cfm
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
jkiker

For what it's worth...

Post by jkiker »

Chiver,

I too am new to modeling with lights and I am in the middle of a project. I wound up buying the individual bits- LED's, wiring, resistors, power supply, etc. to fit my needs, rather than buying a lighting kit. I also did not buy in bulk, although there are economies to be had if you plan on lots of lights in your future builds.

Here is the thing- I doubt I got out much cheaper than using someone's lighting kit. So if you are only lighting one or two models, you likely won't save very much going the route I did. On the other hand, with the help of the lighting boffins here on SM, I have been learning a lot. If you can find components locally you might save a little over internet buying and shipping; otherwise, I suggest biting the bullet with a dedicated lighting kit IF it fits you wants for a given kit, then perhaps try buying components for future builds. I do not regret going down the path I've chosen; I have learned a lot and I will have a lighting rig to fit my project which is not a kit at all.

HTH, Jim