Nasty Browning Crud - MicroSol / MicroSet?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

FatherRob

Nasty Browning Crud - MicroSol / MicroSet?

Post by FatherRob »

Last fall, I finished my Weefit model... I am starting to notice several areas (usually in the deflector grids) where a brownish crud is forming. I wallpapered it, so I am assuming it is the Decal solution that caused it.

The decal solution also rusted out my hobby knife almost instantly.

I can replace the knife, but I don't want to toast my models months after they are completed.

Any hints on what I did wrong, and how I can prevent it in the future?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Decal setting solution is mostly vinegar, so maybe something is growing in it. Mold or rot. Did you put a clearcoat on top of the decals once they dried?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
FatherRob

Post by FatherRob »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:Decal setting solution is mostly vinegar, so maybe something is growing in it. Mold or rot. Did you put a clearcoat on top of the decals once they dried?
Yes, I did two layers of clear coat (dull).

Rob+
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As the acetic acid (the active ingredient in vinegar) solution in the MicroSol (or is it MicroSet?) dries out it gets more concentrated. I've had a bottle near the end of it's life go a bit brown and tossed it. That's my only guess it that the solution is oxidizing giving you a brown stain. You could have most likely wiped it off it it hadn't been clear coated. Not sure how to fix it now.
Abolish Alliteration