Resin : Peeling...stripping...weeping....OH MY

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sci-fi-bldr

Resin : Peeling...stripping...weeping....OH MY

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

I started working on a resin kit a while back...built it to the primer stage............and....due to some other projects....it got shelved for a while

In the last few days I have gotten it back out... and discovered that the primer wasn't sticking.......it would peel off at the slightest touch

(Now I usually scrub any resin kits before building...but honestly...I can't remember if I did this one or not)........ :roll:

So I began the stripping....a good soaking in Simple Green seems to be taking most of it off.............I also noticed at this stage on some of the edges...the resin seems to be weeping

Which leads me to this......

Where do I go from here?.....

The Simple Green seems to be working...I'm not sure if it will take all it off.............should it be soaked in something else???......does it all need to come off???

What can I do after the stripping to get the primer...and further coats of paint to stick??

What...(if anything)....can I do about the weeping resin??......again...it's just on a couple edges and....only slightly??...........will it get worse??........does this have something to do with the paint not sticking?

Any ideas...or insights.....will help a ton...........Thanks
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Heat. If It's a part that won't warp too badly, put a nice coat of talc on it, then put it in the oven at really low temp for a few hours. The talc will absorb some of the moisture, and the heat will "post cure" the resin. Worth a shot...
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

What Stu said. I would check with the manufacturer. I know this happens to some of my parts once in a while. The mix was off just a tad, and the resin will never set, and that's what's weeping. It will stop, most likely. But I would check for a replacement part.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

Thanks for the help guys....

Johnny...I'd try the manufacturer....but I bought it a few years back at Wonderfest.....and I can't really remember if I bought it thru the original maker....or second hand...

The kit is a conversion for a TIE fighter......the parts are a different style solar panel......( I'm not going to say what kit it is.....because that not what this thread is about)....................but another problem has came up

After soaking in the Simple Green overnight....one of the solar panels have warped......ALOT...in 2 different directions.........it doesn't seem that the Simple Green was 'hot' enough to do this......and...they where straight when they went in the solution...........

I know that it can be fixed......but it's really turning into a mess.........I thought at the begining of the problems just to scratchbuild the #&*% things..........I may go back to that idea....... :roll:
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

If...IF the oven method fails, what about placing the pieces in a tub of kitty litter? I've never tried it, but have suggested it in the past. But, no one has ever reported doing it or their results.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I think your basically boned on this one. I had a bad mix many years ago and as test I left a part that was weeping on the shelf on paper towels. Two years later it was still weeping. I tried the post cure thing with no luck. If the resin never had it's little happy molecular bonding party it will harden and paint will always flake an peel off.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

Yep Blappy........I'm finding that out.... :(

After a couple of days in the Simple Green...I got most of the paint off

The warping got even worse...............still not sure where that came from....it wasn't there before....

I tried some heat.....it straightened......then warped again after cooling...........after a few more trys at this......the solar panel broke....

It's fixable.......but after all this....I'm just going to try to scratchbuild a set...........I'm sick of looking at the @$%#&$% thing..... :twisted:

Thanks again for all the help guys.....
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes you just gotta toss the part and make a new one.

It's too bad you cannot get a replacement kit.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere