best way to fill in engraved panel lines

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MrNobudy

best way to fill in engraved panel lines

Post by MrNobudy »

title says it all. Got a bash i am gonna start on, but one kit i am using has the engraved panel lines. Didn't know if anyone had good suggestions other than spreading aves on it and sanding it down smooth.

thanks
Part of the Lowest Common Denominator and エッチ の は proud of it!
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

How deep are these lines, and what is the kit? If the trenches are huge, gluing in some stretched sprue has worked well for me, followed by some Nitro Stan/Bondo-NOT the 2 part polyester stuff/ Acryl or other solvent based glazing putty. If the grooves are fine, just glazing putty by itself should work.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Start laying on the primer real thick like...
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
MrNobudy

Post by MrNobudy »

ertl xwing kit. the lines are not massive, but they are there. considering the ammount of gap work i will have to do, i might try a combination of some putty and primer. gonna have to see if the HLS has any of the Mr Surfacer 500.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

You could always scribe panel lines on the rest of the ship to match :D

I love engraved panel lines!

(Ducks and runs back to work bench)
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I've also had good luck with "scratch filling primer" from the car parts store for filling a lot of fine panel lines, scratches and gaps. Comes in a spray can, but can be squirted into a cup to thicken even more and to be brushed on.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Despite seeing it mentioned repeatedly in SAMI, don't use white out! After seeing "it sands easily and smoothly" I tried it on the entire Nimitz air wing - in 1/700. Needless to say I'll never do that again. Royal pain to clean off!

Anyway, use some thick filler paint. If you can get it, Gunze Mr Surfacer 500 is great. I get the 500, the 1000 and the 1500. The 500 gets thicker quickly, but some lacquer thinner works nicely.

Brush it on the lines and the next day sand it smooth. As many here have said, sand it so there is a little left around the sides of the lines.

Kev
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The best way I've found is the WAVE black CA diluted with thin CA. Don't let it cure too long, or it will be very hard. Even so, it does a nice job at creating a very smooth fill.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Neb

Post by Neb »

Been using Gunze Thinned Putty lately and just love the stuff. :)
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
MrNobudy

Post by MrNobudy »

Neb wrote:Been using Gunze Thinned Putty lately and just love the stuff. :)
i found somthing similer to this i think. it was Mr Disolved Putty, a little jar of stuff. From the makers of Mr Surfacer. gonna take some playing time to figure how to apply it best, but i think it will work. that and the primer.