Need help...sealing pastels

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

AB_HOBBIES

Need help...sealing pastels

Post by AB_HOBBIES »

I was experimenting with some pastels on a kit. when I tried to seal with a clear flat acrylic and it disappeared. What can I use to seal and save my weathering jobs.

Thanks
Seth
BOLDLY GOING WHERE NO ONE WANT'S TO GO....
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

you can use a pigment fixative that is applied before you use weathering powders.

there are also some artists fixatives that can seal pastel/powders (they tend too be expensive mind you) - and to be honest you can get equal effects with a good aerosol varnish such as testors dullcote, so long as you get used to spraying a VERY light mist at about 18-24 inches so that the lacquer dries as it touches the model - if you keep the mist very light then you can apply a few coats without the powders vanishing or going too much darker.

the problem is when you apply too much and the powder gets absorbed into the liquid formed by "over-spraying" - usually by spraying too close or too much...its a real art mind you and easy to get wrong.

The MIG pigment fixer (pre-powders) does work mind you, but it wont stand up to rigorous handling.

The Tamiya weathering agents in the "compacts" (like make up) are more resitant and you can get away with more normal (aerosol) varnishing with those.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yes, VERY fine mist. And you might need to touch the piece up a bit after. Plan not to touch the piece anywhere you apply that pastel, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati