Rebranded Tamiya Tape found Cheaper

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

greasyspoon

Rebranded Tamiya Tape found Cheaper

Post by greasyspoon »

I am sure the is a mix of people who go over to fine scale model fourms, but just incase they don't. Some one over there reported to find a painters tape that is the same as Tamiya Tape.
http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1044099/ShowPost.aspx

I have never used Tamiya Tape, but I have always wanted to try it. So I whent to sherian Williams and I bought a roll of Shurtape CP-60 for about $5.50. I like it quite a bit, I can see though it so it helps when cutting a mask. Sticks well and doesn't bleed when I air brush around it. It is supposed to be safe for 60 days. I usally use the blue tape but I believe I will switch to this, its not that much more for the amount I used. Still I will use this to do the detail masking and my blue or dirt cheap white tape to cover the bulk of the model.

The Guys at finescale.com say its the same stuff and they have experience with it. To get thin straight strips I use a cheap photocroper (Looks like a paper cutter) I got for 6 bucks to cut long straight lines.

Here is a link to the manfacture.
http://www.shurtape.com/Default.aspx?Ta ... ductID=153

Thanks,
Jon
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'll be off to see if I can find a roll and compare. I love my Tamiya tape, can't paint without it.
Abolish Alliteration
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I've found something similar at Home Despot called Frog Tape. Guess what color it is.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Frog tape is more like the 3M purple tape.
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

One of our local IPMS members brought some of the ShurTape to our meeting last night. Very nice stuff. I compared it side by side with the Tamiya, and it sure seems to be the same stuff.

It also comes in much wider rolls than the Tamiya. He had a 3" roll. Looked more like yellow duct tape. I can see this being very useful, and a whole lot cheaper.

Good Find!
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I think you'll probably find that Tamiya is the one doing the rebranding. A lot of these masking tapes have been around for decades in the graphic arts industry. In fact I think you will find most of Tamiya's tools are rebranded from something else.

I can't disagree with the idea of putting all the toys in one box, but it does tend to push prices up.

Don't forget that you don't have to do all your model shopping in a LHS.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Tamiya Design knife blades and craft knives are Olfa products, at least those available in Japan.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Very cool tip - I use loads of Tamiya tape, and like most people would like to have wider sections. THANKS!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
modelbaseguy

Post by modelbaseguy »

Great Find! I think I will pick up the 4ft (yes 4 FOOT) wide roll to mask up my 1:1 Scale Viper. Anybody want to come over and help me lift the 300lb roll? :help:

Check out the foil tapes, they have a 1.5 mil aluminum tape that could come in real handy.

I did not see an ordering page. Anybody know where to actually purchase some of these products?
William
"The" Model Base guy

Follow me on Facebook
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

Sherwin Williams. It a painting store chain. Some one mentioned Harbor Freight btu I have not seen anyone one confrim this.

Thanks,
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

Just picked up a big roll of this at the local Sherwin Williams. If it isn't the same stuff, it's a darn good knock-off. Same thickness, same tack, same color. I'm sold!
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

AWESOME! Thanks for that!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I just picked up a roll at the local Sherwin Williams. They didn't have it out on display, but one of the guys came out to the parking lot just as I was leaving. I can't see any noticeable difference between this tape and the Tamiya tape, except for the price.