Why is it my bottle paint always drying up?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

david bailey

Why is it my bottle paint always drying up?

Post by david bailey »

I know this might be stupid and there might be no answer tomy question. I have always wondered about this for years,how do i prevent my paint inthe bottles from drying up?The paint i'm talking about in general is Testors brand of paint.It seems after awhile,every time i goopen a bottle of paint it has dried up.Is there something special to do i'm not doing to make it last longer.It seems once you open the paint,its prone to drying up.Now i have learned to buy extra when needed of a color,if its one i use alot.For now i have learned to live with it.Any advice on this would be appreciated. THANKS.
david bailey
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi David,

The solution is simple. Build more models.

Actually, I've had exactly the same experience. Of all the model paints I've tried, enamels by Testors and Model Master have the worst shelf once they're open.

I think they're engineered to go bad in the bottle after you open them.

I've stopped buying them. In the long run, its less expensive to buy other brands of paint with longer shelf life.

Mike
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Okay here is a trick that was taught to me 30 years ago. Once you are completely done with the paint in question for a project, Shake the bottle up until all of the pigment is suspended in the paint. Then store the jar upside down. The pigment will settle around the lid and act as a secondary seal for the paint. Another big hint is to make sure to clean the threads on the lid and the bottle each time you use the paint thus allowing for the tightest seal possible.

I have some Pactra and Testors colors that are 10 years old and still viable.

Oh and one more hint. Once the paint is thoroughly mixed, dip a brush in it and then after you have turned the bottle over put a drop of color on the bottom. That way you can easily ID a color when it is upside down.

Hope this helps,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

when you buy it open it and drop in a small (clean) stone.

store upside down as above - when you need it shake thoroughly to mix the pigment and carrier (which is where the stone helps out!)

You can also add liquid medium to thick paints to thin them down without loosing cohesion.
david bailey

Thanks for the tip

Post by david bailey »

I try what was sugguested to see if this helps make my paint last longer.I always wipe the lid after every use.I always shake up my paints before and after use.Some of the testors paints are getting expensive for little bottles,i don't use bottle paints much except for small detail painting and the occasionanl airbrushing.I pretty much use spray paint if at all possiable,and if i can't find it in spray paint i'll mix the color for airbrushing.
david bailey
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I put in a small bearing (can get in any hardware store) which is similar to the stone mentioned above; store my paints up side down when I can and another thing that I use (and works pretty well) is that I would put surrand wrap over the bottle opening and then screw on the cover.