material for building an LARGE size model

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

roadwarrior

material for building an LARGE size model

Post by roadwarrior »

Hi All,

Thinking about building a large-ish model (3-5 foot long), and was wondering what everyone reccommends for a hull material? Acrylic sheet, styrene sheet, wood? I have access to buy many different materials and adhesives, and equipment to machine it. Just need to decide about what material to use, and design around that.

Thank you for any input,
Tom
"I'm trying to strike a balance between accuracy and progress." DreamCrazy
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

It depends from the shape of the object.
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

I´m just a simple man, trying to glue my way in the universe.
http://s527.photobucket.com/home/Lichtbote/allalbums
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depends on how you're going to light it, and how you're going to hang it.

And how long you want it to last.

Plywood, specially untreated & thin, delaminates over time if not proper sealed. In this day & age of LEDs and compact fluorescents you don't have to worry about heat build-up like the studio modelers do (or did). So you could easily go with schedule C pvc pipe as a frame & polycarb or acrylic sheet as bulkheads & sheeting. I prefer acrylic for it's stiffness but some like polycarb because it machines like butter.
Abolish Alliteration
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Kylwell makes a good point there: Don't follow the techniques used to build studio models if you want the model to last. The key to building a successful studio model is speed—you use what is easier/faster to build.

For a 'labor of love' type of model, do as Kylwell suggests, but I'd also chime in with: metal. A soldered tubular brass internal structure can support a lot of weight. Another thing: use good glue—2-part epoxy is best for long-lasting bonds. CA will eventually (a few years) crack and separate.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior »

Thank you for the replies.

The plan is to build a flying saucer with mandibles (!) and make it somewhat large. I was leaning towards acrylic because A) readily available in large sheets, B) cost effective, C) can be machined, thermo-formed and easily glued, and D) can be laser cut. And as access to the laser may be curtailed soon, I wanted to at least build a hull now and detail later.

I wanted to run thru other stuff as ideas as I know all of you here have vastly more of the stuff that constitutes knowledge in these matters than I. Build a model out of a box or do a minor kitbash and I'm good. This would be my first step into scratch (ignoring that 4 foot long cardboard stardestroyer I built sooo long ago).

If this gets off the ground, I'll post pics/info. Thank you for the input,
Tom
"I'm trying to strike a balance between accuracy and progress." DreamCrazy
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I'd advise against using PVC pipe - at least the normal 'house plumbing' type. I was involved in a model build for a film and the guy in charge used PVC for the long, self supporting main spine with the mount in the middle of the 5 foot 2 inch long beast. Quickly, it began to sag. By the time it was finished, with moving 'arms' and all, it was sagging noticably.

Just my experience.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

en'til Zog wrote:I'd advise against using PVC pipe - at least the normal 'house plumbing' type. I was involved in a model build for a film and the guy in charge used PVC for the long, self supporting main spine with the mount in the middle of the 5 foot 2 inch long beast. Quickly, it began to sag. By the time it was finished, with moving 'arms' and all, it was sagging noticably.

Just my experience.
Sounds like too small a diameter. Larger the diameter the stiffer the tube.
Abolish Alliteration
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

For a model thai size I would suggest starting off with a frame or skeleton- .080 aluminum if you can, threaded pipe or welded 1x1 square tubing would also work. It will give all the plexi a thing to hang on and support the weight when you display it. Tab and notch the plex when you can- it will help the epoxy hold things together.
It sounds like an interesting project you got there...

"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/