led timer circuit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

belkin321

led timer circuit

Post by belkin321 »

I am looking for a timer circuit diagram that would light up 10 leds in a random manner, and the time delay interval could be adjusted....say from 1 to 15 minutes or so. For example, once power is applied, 4 leds would turn on, then a few minutes later a number of other leds would turn on while others turn off. A variable pot. could be adjusted to vary the on/off intervals. Thanks for any assistance.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

It sounds like you will need a PIC or other micro controller. You will probably use up/down switch or a nob that generates this function (up tick down ticks).
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

You might try the old standby - the 4060 chip - with the 500K variable resistor. One output can handle 4 low voltage LEDs in SERIES (under 2 volts each, usually RED, ORANGE, YELLOW or GREEN ones).

What colors of LED were you planning on using?
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

By using a microcontroller (PIC, AVR, or whatever) you can control which lights turn on and when just by typing some lines of program code.
belkin321

Post by belkin321 »

Thanks to all for your help. I wanted to use all white LEDs.
belkin321

Post by belkin321 »

Thanks to all for your help. I wanted to use white LEDs. jwrjr, could a 12F683 PIC be used?