slightly OT help needed: 50s era navy cargo a/c paint scheme

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Pat Amaral

slightly OT help needed: 50s era navy cargo a/c paint scheme

Post by Pat Amaral »

hi folks,

I've got a Spruce Goose model on the bench right now. I'm thinking of finishing it in a "what-if" 1950s era navy livery. In an effort to lock down a paint scheme for the plane, I'm trying to find images of navy cargo planes from the time period. Alas, I've been unsuccessful so far. I seem to remember a dark/royal(ish) blue color being used but I'm not at all sure. Any links to images of navy cargo planes from the early 1950s will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

thanks Robb.

That's the paint scheme I was thinking of but it's a little earlier than I had in mind. I thought the Navy changed their scheme for large aircraft sometime after 1950. I'll keep this reference on hand while I continue looking.

Thanks again,
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Overall dark blue would have been common through the 50s. Then it was a light ghost gray over white. You would have seen both through the early 60s. Watch your lettering font, too. It changed from 45 degree to 30 degree.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati