PL-E Refit Light kits

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

atacpdx

PL-E Refit Light kits

Post by atacpdx »

I'm about to buy a kit and am currently considering the options. I'm torn between the Voodoo and Trekmodeler kits. Am I missing a better option? Of these two which do people feel is the best option?

Thanks!
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The Trekmodeler kit costs less. The VoodooFX kit is more thorough - it has more of the little bits and pieces. Disclaimer: as I designed part of the VFX kit, I am somewhat biased. On the other hand, I know what is in it better than most.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Madman Lighting just started selling a kit that covers just about all the bases. It's primarily designed for the big NX-01 kit but it will work for the refit kit as well. There's enough in the kit to do all the basics (strobes, formation lights, lights for the engines, internal lighting). You might have to put a little extra in to have ALL of the lights (I don't know for sure as I just got my copy and I haven't looked at what the Refit needs).

The beautiful thing about the Madman Lighting kits is you don't have to do a lot of soldering and everything is all very simple to put together. Best of all, the new "Big" kit costs about half as much as the other kits mentioned. You can get a hold of Madman Lighting right here on these boards. He posts here frequently

I can't speak about the other kits except that it's my understanding that Trekmodeler's kit comes pre-assembled. You just drop it in. Some would say that feature is enough to justify the cost.

I know Randy, who runs VoodooFX and I know that he produces really nice quality products but you should have some experience assembling electronic components (it's not that hard to do). I also understand that the VFX kit is pretty thorough including some features you won't get with the Madman Lighting rig but I don't know details.

Anyway, that's my two cents for what it's worth,
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
atacpdx

Post by atacpdx »

jwrjr,

what are the extra features you mentioned? I'm having trouble seeing the differences beyond assembly and would love the biased 1st hand perspective.