Aluminum foil and glue?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jon Kunatz

Aluminum foil and glue?

Post by Jon Kunatz »

Ok..I know Microscale makes a special glue for attaching aluminum to models, but what if you dont have the glue...is there an alternative?

Any help appreciated. :)
Cabin Boy Vir Here

*Yes, yes...I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense it's because I already figured out that you're stupid.*---Dr. Rodney McKay, Stargate SG-1
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Elmer's carpenters glue.
Abolish Alliteration
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

At a Tamiya Con one year I saw a demonstration. The guy used rubber cement thinned with Bestine. Seemed to work OK.
Todd
Im a peripheral visionary. I can see the future but only out of the corner of my eye.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Look at an arts store. There is a cement for applying gold and silver leaf. Can't think of the name offhand, but it can be brushed on and dries nice and fast.

Works fine for regular foil.

Kev
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

There was an article in FSM in the late 80's about making your own glue, I used the technique to finish a 1/48 B-58 in aluminum foil.

You take spray adhesive and cut it with paint thinner to the consistency of warm honey, and carefully apply a thin layer to the back of the foil using something soft ( scrap balsa sheet or a business card work nicely), then let the adhesive tack up a bit. Cut and apply as normal, wooden sticks work to get it in corners.

Ken
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

flyfort17 wrote:At a Tamiya Con one year I saw a demonstration. The guy used rubber cement thinned with Bestine. Seemed to work OK.
From Lando's colony on that gas planet? Wow.

:ducks:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

Kekker wrote:There is a cement for applying gold and silver leaf. Can't think of the name offhand, but it can be brushed on and dries nice and fast.
could it be "gilding size"
http://www.gildedplanet.com/oilsizing_home.asp

Glen
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

That's the stuff - I meant I couldn't recall the brand, but sizing is the catch-all term.

"It works a treat" as they say in SAMI...

Not too expensive, either

Kev