Paint how to and tips needed

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Slide

Paint how to and tips needed

Post by Slide »

i'm planning on starting an Imperial guard army from Warhammer 40K, and i want to do them in ACU Pattern Cammo like this...

only these guys are this big...

i depirately need tips, tricks, suggestions, even musings on how i could paint these tiny dudes with a realistic looking digital camo

HELP PLEASE!
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Hmmmm . . . . you might be able to airbrush the lighter base coat, and then use Pigma Micron archival ink pens to do the detailing.

I use 05 (0.45 mm), 03 (0.35 mm) and 01 (0.25 mm) black pens for doing panel lines on 1:100 scale Gundam kits.

They're available in quite a few colors, including green, brown, hunter green, and sepia.

Might be an option for you. Check your local art supply stores to see if there are other color choices, or possibly alternate brands that you could use.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I think Neil's done it. Get a nice sable 10/00 spotter brush and thin your paints well. Don't let your brush dry. Drying extenders and flow aid are your friends. It will all be hand-painting work...

http://reapermini.com/TheCraft/15

This tutorial has been invaluable to me.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or.... get some digital camo decals and decal the color on.
Abolish Alliteration
Slide

Post by Slide »

This would be camo for roughly 160 men... SMALL men... i'm not sure where i'd get it or how expensive either...

that and CUTTING all those decals to individually do legs, amrs that are in kookey poses sometimes... breastplate armour, HEAVY armour for 20 MORE troops, helmets... bumpy, compound-curving helmets... i think i'll try a DRY small brush and try to blot it on layer by layer after a base coat of the lightest colour...

or maybe those pens Lonewolf mentioned... they don't have the right colours of green though...

if i were to spray a THIN coat of medium grey, or tamiya smoke, would that tone-down the vibrancy of the colour from the pens at all? and would any pre-shading show through them? or would i be restricted to post-shading?
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Micron pens are great. You can seal the ink after it's dry, and if you paint over them with very thin gloss coats you should be fine. DON'T use flat paint for that over-coating if you still want to see your pen work. Preshading would be fine, I think.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati