Airbrush Cleaning Station

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MINIATURE-ART

Airbrush Cleaning Station

Post by MINIATURE-ART »

Has anyone used this product?

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index.cf ... ct_ID=1150

I've been spraying into an empty water bottle, but I still smell the thinners/cleaning solution.

I'm wondering if the cleaning station's filter work well enough to prevent solvent odors from wafting out of the container.

BOBBY
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

I have the testors version. I love it. very little smell and no fumes floatting around the room. I sure this will do the same.
Todd
Im a peripheral visionary. I can see the future but only out of the corner of my eye.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've got on and for the most part, yes it'll help kill the fumes.

Does the Testors one have a glass base?
Abolish Alliteration
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

Kylwell wrote:
Does the Testors one have a glass base?
Yep. A least mine does. I had it for years. I don't know if its been changed.
Todd
Im a peripheral visionary. I can see the future but only out of the corner of my eye.
MINIATURE-ART

Post by MINIATURE-ART »

Hi gents,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I typically shoot acetone or the Model Master Acrylic paint cleaner. Both are very noxious stoff. Will the filters in either the Aztec or Iwata help remove those extra strong odors as well?

Any cheap source for replacement filters?

BOBBY
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Uhm.... Acetone? Well, some but unless you wedge a activated charcoal filter in the mix probably not.

Now... why are you shooting acetone?
Abolish Alliteration
MINIATURE-ART

Post by MINIATURE-ART »

I find the acetone cleans out Dullcote faster (and cheaper) than any other solvent I've tried.

Do you feel spraying acetone is a problem?

BOBBY
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Vaporised acetone is nasty, nasty stuff. IIRC it's worse than lacquer when it comes to health hazards.

So now that we've solved the acetone, why the Dullcote?

Mind you, I'm not hopping up & down scream "don't so that", I'm just a curious sob.
Abolish Alliteration
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

Kylwell wrote:
Now... why are you shooting acetone?
Hey, That might make a good mini flame thrower :twisted:
Todd
flyfort17

Post by flyfort17 »

MINIATURE-ART wrote:
Any cheap source for replacement filters?

BOBBY
I just get mine at the LHS. They always have them.
Todd
MINIATURE-ART

Post by MINIATURE-ART »

Kylwell wrote:Vaporised acetone is nasty, nasty stuff. IIRC it's worse than lacquer when it comes to health hazards.

Mind you, I'm not hopping up & down scream "don't so that", I'm just a curious sob.
Ok, I'll give lacquer thinners a try. I do normally wear a P100 respirator and nitrile gloves anyime I touch a spraygun for safety.

As for Dullcote, as long as I'm not painting a white colored model, I prefer it because I can get the flattest, most durable finish compared to other varnishes. I typically wait until a bottle of Dullcote has settled, pouring 1/2 the liquid (really Glossocte) from the bottle, and saving the flattening agent. The flattening agent is then mixed with the (very) hot Testors airbrush thinner.

This mix can damage acrylics if sprayed on heavily, so it's best to use in very light dusting passes. The best part is that I can weather a model with pastels, and if I make a mistake, I can scrub it off without imparting an accidental polished sheen to the surface. I find this to be a problem with most acrylic based varnishes.

BOBBY
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

MINIATURE-ART wrote:
Kylwell wrote:Vaporised acetone is nasty, nasty stuff. IIRC it's worse than lacquer when it comes to health hazards.

Ok, I'll give lacquer thinners a try. I do normally wear a P100 respirator and nitrile gloves anyime I touch a spraygun for safety.

As for Dullcote, as long as I'm not painting a white colored model, I prefer it because I can get the flattest, most durable finish compared to other varnishes. I typically wait until a bottle of Dullcote has settled, pouring 1/2 the liquid (really Glossocte) from the bottle, and saving the flattening agent. The flattening agent is then mixed with the (very) hot Testors airbrush thinner.

This mix can damage acrylics if sprayed on heavily, so it's best to use in very light dusting passes. The best part is that I can weather a model with pastels, and if I make a mistake, I can scrub it off without imparting an accidental polished sheen to the surface. I find this to be a problem with most acrylic based varnishes.

BOBBY
Enjoy this acrylic flat coat discovery:

viewtopic.php?t=58557&highlight=jws

A clear acrylic flat is tougher than Dullcoat, friendlier to your health, and won't yellow over time. The Dullcoat will look like urine stains after a few years, especially over white.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I was going to mention the JW's stuff. I also like the Testor's acrylic flat coat. It's dead flat and works great with pastels.
Abolish Alliteration
MINIATURE-ART

Post by MINIATURE-ART »

Guys,

Thank you so much for the link. I've used the Model Master Acryl, but found it has a slight off-tint on white painted models, but not as bad as Dullcote. Again thanks all for your advice.

Regards,

BOBBY
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I have one of the Iwata cleaning stations as well, and I love it. No problems with fumes at all. When I'm cleaning between coats or at the end of the spraying session, everthing gets sprayed into the cleaning station, and no fumes to disturb my wife and kids.

I use mostly Model Master Acryl II, Tamiya, or Polly Scale acrylics (thinned with 70% isopropyl alcohol). Between coats I clean with a hot water/alcohol mixture. For cleanup at the end of the day, I use a hot water/EZ Air Airbrush Cleaner mixture.

I got the cleaner at Michael's for $5.99 for an 8 ounce bottle. Works great, and if you've got stuff gunked up on your airbrush, you can soak the brush parts in the water/cleaner mixture overnight without harming any of the O rings or seals.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.