CCFL and Rectangular LED questions

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

One AM

CCFL and Rectangular LED questions

Post by One AM »

I'm looking to light an AMT Enterprise-D model, and was thinking of using this CCFL set, one for the saucer, the other for the engineering hull. It states that its current draw is "5.0mAv," and I do not know what this means. I need to know how many amps it will draw, as I plan to power it off of this, with 1000 mA available. There's also a 1500 mA model available, as well as a 500 mA version should it not require so much power. Would any of these power supplies do the trick, assuming that there were 120 mA worth of these LEDS in there as well?

I also have another question, how do you wire to a four pin LED as shown in the previous link? I have no idea.

EDIT: I figured out how to wire the LED, so the only question is the CCFL current one.
Creepy girl, won't you be mine?
I'll give you scrolls and fish and tinkertoys and wine...
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Six bucks for a complete dual CCFT & inverter set - go for it! The ad is a little unclear, but for two tubes & inverter, that's a good deal.

Now, power. Often, flashlight batteries are adequate, so I'd think the 500 mA power supply should work, for CCFTs and the LEDs. (I tried the links for Radio S... and got nada. Just make sure the 12 volt supply is DC regulated out.)

When in doubt, put everything together outside the model, and leave it all running for a day, checking often for overheating.

HTH
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The 5 ma rating is the current for the tubes, not for the high voltage power supply. My guess would be to allocate 350 ma for each inverter (high voltage power supply). So the 500 ma power supply would not be enough. The 1000 ma power supply might do depending on how much you are drawing for leds, etc.
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

P.S. - Zog's idea of hooking everything up outside the model and running it for a day is a good one. Easier to fix problems that way.
One AM

Post by One AM »

200 mA is the max I'm planning on from LEDs, so I'll try the 1 amp supply when the time comes. The test rig sounds like a good, prudent idea. Thanks for the help!
Creepy girl, won't you be mine?
I'll give you scrolls and fish and tinkertoys and wine...