NEWB LIGHTING QUESTION FOR A SPECIFIC MODEL

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

marcus0311

NEWB LIGHTING QUESTION FOR A SPECIFIC MODEL

Post by marcus0311 »

Ok, I just purchased Revell's Republic Star Destroyer kit. I would like to add lighting to it(nothing too intricate, but simple enough to still look cool cause this will be my first time adding lights to a model). I was wondering what would be descent lighting kit for me(a lighting newb) to use with costing WAY too much. I was thinking about the NX-01 kit sold here at the SSM store. I want to light the main engines(x4 same color), some of the windows in the main tower(x? depends on amount of fiber optic cable supplied), add a scratchbuilt landing bay with internal lighting(x1 located just below the tower section), and depending on amount of fiber optic cable available launch bay at nose of ship(x1). I was also looking at the starfury lighting kit,but I was wondering if there were any suggestions from the more experienced out there. Thanks for any help y'all can provide.
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

I recommend this package from Madman Lighting. The store shows it out of stock but you can contact John Cook directly (he's a regular in these forums - look for the handle: madman lighting :wink: ). It's quite affordable, simple enough to set up and it'll drive enough LEDs to do the job. I would recommend that you ask Mr. Cook to send you a kit with all the same color (white?) LEDs (that is, unless you WANT different colors). Alternatively, you could just buy his kit and get some more white LEDs on your own).

I wrote a review of this kit a couple years ago. Find that here if you want to take a look.

Hope that's helpful,
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

Actually I was kinda leaning towards this kit, but I didn't know that I could contact them and get spwecific led colors. I know I want blue for the exhaust cans, white for the internal landing bay, blue for any windows,red for the launch bay(fiber optic for around opening), and green for the landing bay(fiber optic around opening). I have heard that his kits are more user friendly, especially to lighting newbs like my self. I'm gonna contact him and see if I could get the specific color leds, and most likely go with this kit. Your review of it was a big help as well. Thanx for the link, and the response.
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Actually, the colors you mentioned already come standard with the kit (2 red, 2 blue, 2 white, 2 green and 1 yellow). You may not have to do anything special (ok, maybe some extra blues for the engines). I'm sure John can fix you up.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Astrazoic

Post by Astrazoic »

Thanks for bringing this little kit to my attention. Not only are they wonderful for model projects, they are also quite useful in terms of "back engineering" for those of us relearning electronics.

I will be ordering one fo these when they come in stock...
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Someone talking about me? Sounds like nice stuff.

Sure, I'll sell you a custom version, any set of colors you like or you can buy one from me direct if you like. I take Paypal and I have units in stock.

Looks like I should try and get some in the Store too.

Thanks Pat!

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine