AMBROID PRO-WELD vs TUBE GLUE

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

AMBROID PRO-WELD vs TUBE GLUE

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I have always used Testors cements for my model building. I have a kit I will begin working on that is made from acrylic and will need ambroid pro-weld ( kit maker recomended It and thats what i bought ) Now, I have never used the stuff and I hear it's great cement, my question is this, when applying this cement, can you apply it like regular cement by glueing 1 side then clamping together OR is it best to use the brush it comes with and apply the cement to the joint and let it flow into the joint with capilliary action ? ( I have never tried this method and any tips on doing it correctly will be appreciated ! ) How much wiggle time do you have with the pro-weld cement ? I will be working on the Jupiter 2 launch gantry from TSDS and with the loss of use of my left hand/arm I need to make sure I CORRECTLY cement this together the first time. How fast does this stuff dry and how much wiggle time do you have to make sure everything is straight ? how much cement is needed on the supplied brush that comes in the bottle ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You can go either way, brush on or capillary action. I'll often do both, blop a bit into the holes, slap together then apply to the seams and clamp.

Ambroid (and the other thin cements) work much faster and stronger than the old tube glue. If you can deal with it you build time will be damned near cut in half due to the less time waiting for the glue to dry.

A bow pen is a old style drafting pen, consisting of two closely spaced points. You can use them for applying glue to seams. I just use a fine brush.
Abolish Alliteration
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

DON'T use the brush in the bottle! Use a fine paintbrush. The bottle brush will do nothing but get adhesive everywhere but where you want it.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein