Duplicolor & Plasticote Spray Can Primer

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

HK1997

Duplicolor & Plasticote Spray Can Primer

Post by HK1997 »

Which one of the Duplicolor primers is the best substitute for Tamiya's spray bomb primer? Self Etching, Filling, or Sandable?
Last edited by HK1997 on Wed May 07, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Be careful with primers! Those not meant for plastic have a bad tendency to react with styrene. Even a little too heavy a coat and there will be a really neat, crackly, leather-like effect. Useful for modeling elephants and dinos, sure, but not so good for mechanical things.

Had this experience with the escape tower for my CC Mercury. Sanded, re-sprayed with Tamiya and all ended up much better.

There are plastic primers around that will work fine. The others should have no effect on resin, though.

Kev
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Self-etching and filling primers have heavy solids (and acid in the case of self-etch) and will fill in surface details and leave a dusty texture to the finish. The sandable primer has finer solids and works really good if you decant the paint into a glass jar and use an airbrush to apply it to the model.
HK1997

Post by HK1997 »

Ah. How about the plastikote primer? Seems like most prefer that over the duplicolor version.

I love Tamiya's and Mr Surfacer in the future, but if the cheaper auto primers are just as good, might as well give it a try.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Plastikote primers are essentially the same as Duplicolor. I've used both in the past and I'm using Plastikote now because that's what Wal-Mart had on the shelf when I went to get some sandable primer.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I've had nothing but smooth coats with the Duplicolor filler primer, IT's all in how you apply it. If you apply it according to directions, you'll be fine. Get too far away, it gets dusty coats.

As for the Rustoleum primer, it's my favorite primer. It's light and preserves detail. I have had no problems with it and, in the case of many of them (can't ever remember if it's Rustoleum, Krylon, or Duplicolor), they're made by RPM companies. The same ones who sell enamels to Testor's. I suspect, based on internet research, they're just relabled and marked up.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I've had good luck with Krylon's high temp BBQ paint for a primer - shiney black, thin coats, and quite tenacious.

Then again, I do things a bit differently from most people. :oops:
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

PlastiKote primer is my main primer and use it for the first primer application, I then use Mr Surfacer 500 from the jar thinned with Lac Thinner as a second level primer and then maybe 1000 from jar and thinned if I need a smooth final primer coat. Overspray is a problem to a certain degree with any of the primers.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

en'til Zog wrote:I've had good luck with Krylon's high temp BBQ paint for a primer - shiney black, thin coats, and quite tenacious.
While the Krylon BBQ makes for a delicious primer, I prefer the Krylon high temp cool ranch primer. Tough, glossy, and is great on burgers, chicken, and fried cheese snacks.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Yup, the high temp cool ranch primer does have the better flavor, but the BBQ black holds seseame seeds and cracked pepper better and is handier for giving top coats a good "shadow" accent. :D