Cleaned the surface but the primer won't stick.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Maschinen Krueger

Cleaned the surface but the primer won't stick.

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

I'm building a full resin kit of the GroßerHund.

I've soaked the parts for two days in Simple Green and scrubbed with warm water.

Mr Surfacer flaked right off.

I've scrubbed the parts with Denatured Alcohol

I've wiped the parts with Lacquer Thinner.

It still feels like I've got lotion on my hands after I have handled the parts. :( It's not me I swear. I mean Lac thinner. Warm soap and water, Simple Green, but Lac thinner! If there was a mold release it should be gone by now right?

I haven't tried Acetone yet as that may dissolve the resin. Any knowledge on this ?

Either the resin wasn't cured properly or they mixed it with Crisco.

Any suggestions for a primer that doesn't care what it gets applied to. I'm considering Killz even.

BK
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Have you tried a self-etching Primer?

Sorry, can't recommend a brand as what I use will not be available where you are.
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Who cast the kit. I have seen on some occasions if the master is glass smooth and the casts from it are equally as smooth then paint wont stick until you rough up the resin a bit with some 300-400 paper.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

My guess is the resin didn't setup or they cut it with diesel fuel. With the cost of diesel, I'd think it'd be cheaper just to go all resin anymore...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

Thanks for the input.

The resin is tan and smells like bug spray. Someone mentioned that bug spray can be used as a mold release. They also mentioned soaking the parts in vinegar as a cleaning agent.

Cut it with diesel fuel? Wouldn't it shrink? The kit is from a very reputable guy in Japan, but maybe his caster tried to cut corners.

I'm not the only one with this problem with this kit. Several others have commented on the smell and slick surface from this release. So any input will be helpful.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Acetone and even MEK shouldn't hurt the resin, but if lacquer thinner didn't remove the slickness then there's little chance they'll do any better. You can try heating the parts to 150deg F for two to three hours (a 100-watt light bulb in a medium-sized cardboard box will work for this) to cook out the oiliness. Honestly, unless some kind of miracle happens, you're probably hosed. It may work well enough to let you get paint onto the model, but after a month or two you may see soft spots bubble up.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I had to use acetone to remove the gunk from a WARP kit, one of their odd resin kits. Acetone shouldn't hurt your kit at all, but it might not save your resin from the leaching.

Can you store it in elevated temperature for a while?
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Joseph Osborn wrote:Acetone and even MEK shouldn't hurt the resin, but if lacquer thinner didn't remove the slickness then there's little chance they'll do any better. You can try heating the parts to 150deg F for two to three hours (a 100-watt light bulb in a medium-sized cardboard box will work for this) to cook out the oiliness. .
I had to do this with that piece of garbage Spacemam kit of the SA-42 kit from Space: Above and Beyond. I let it sit for three days in a 100-watt bulb hot box and finally, finally, it had cured. :roll:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:My guess is the resin didn't setup or they cut it with diesel fuel. With the cost of diesel, I'd think it'd be cheaper just to go all resin anymore...

Dan
was gonna say - do people still do that? :?: it's £1.27p a liter now!

I only ever had one piece of resin do this to me and it was some crappy cheap polyester that just kept "sweating" so that nothing ever took to it, had to bin it in the end after wasting a week pratting about with it.

i did cook it for a bit in the oven but never tried the hot lamp for three days.. makes me wonder now.... thing was riddled with bubbles anyway. :cry:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Antenociti wrote:
Jonas Calhoun wrote:My guess is the resin didn't setup or they cut it with diesel fuel. With the cost of diesel, I'd think it'd be cheaper just to go all resin anymore...

Dan
was gonna say - do people still do that? :?: it's £1.27p a liter now!

I only ever had one piece of resin do this to me and it was some crappy cheap polyester that just kept "sweating" so that nothing ever took to it, had to bin it in the end after wasting a week pratting about with it.

i did cook it for a bit in the oven but never tried the hot lamp for three days.. makes me wonder now.... thing was riddled with bubbles anyway. :cry:
Well, in truth they use kerosene or some such. But still they'll prolly find something cheaper like saffron.
Abolish Alliteration
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

I've had similar issues. The resin was definitely cut with kerosene to save on casting costs...
I found that Mr Surfacer flaked off on mine, whereas after a good clean with dishwashing liquid and a lot of scrubbing, Tamiya Light Primer worked a treat.