Scribing in Putty?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

Scribing in Putty?

Post by darth_daniel »

Hello all,
I´ve wondered for quite some time now if there is a putty that can be scribed on. I want to fill up the old scribing of my first scratchbuild and rescribe all the lines as the old ones are about 2 times wider and deeper than they should be. :oops:
So far I`ve used Revell and Italeri putty, which, when dried, become far too brittle to scribe in (as I know from experience). They both come in a tube, you don´t have to mix any components. I´ve also used Tamiya´s 2-component putty, which seemed very hard but I can´t say if scribing would have been possible.
I´ve heard so many good things about Aves so I wondered if this is the way to go for my project.
Many thanks in advance for any advice! :)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Why of course... Aves.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Aves is the holiest and most blessed of scribing mediums. However, Bondo, used in moderation, and not used for anything_remotely_structural can be used if varnished with CA.

Check out [url="Scribing: My Way"]viewtopic.php?t=42752[/url] for details on the way I do it. It works aokay.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Thanks for the comments, really helpful! So what do you think of this didea, I might try Aves then... :wink: :D
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

what's nice about Aves, if you get the trick of finishing with so you don't need to sand, you can let it mostly cure, then scribe with a moistened knife - a curved blade works best.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Slave1

Post by Slave1 »

I actually bought Aves for the sole purpose of being able to scribe in it. Other putties were just chipping out when I tried to scribe in them.