The Abbey of Aves

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

The Abbey of Aves

Post by TER-OR »

I would name this generic Epoxy Putty but we have such an evangelical approach to our favorite product....

I thought it deserved its own thread.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Lo and hear me, good people of the web. A moment of divine inspiration has visited this humble modeler. Consternation yielded to invention, need to solution.

Aves can be tinted with India Ink!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/2256514710/

Terry Miesle
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

But...but...mine is already blue....
Abolish Alliteration
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

And as an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church, I can baptize you with Safety Solvent!
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Well I finally took the plunge and sent in an order for the Aves sampler pack available in the SSM store. I look forward to trying this stuff out. Hope it's as good as the Putty Apostles on this site say it is.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

TREKKRIFFIC wrote:
I look forward to trying this stuff out. Hope it's as good as the Putty Apostles on this site say it is.

AVES is like MacGuyver's duct tape and the Force*. You can make or do anything with it and no one's quite sure where ApoxieSculpt gets its magic-mojo power. :wink:

Dennis

* before midichlorians
Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 »

How easy is Aves to work with compared to say, Mr White Putty? I'm experimenting with Mr White right now and I gotta say its frustrating.
It comes out of the tube at toothpaste consistency yet becomes stiff and kinda crumbly very fast.

Also, it's very hard to remove from my tools/fingertips etc. I may be picking up some Aves this weekend, because I want to fill in some gaps in this model I'm working on, and maybe use as a scratchbuilding material.

If anyone can let me know how the different putty's compare (Tamiya, Mr White, Aves etc) I'd be very grateful.
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

TREKKRIFFIC wrote:Well I finally took the plunge and sent in an order for the Aves sampler pack available in the SSM store. I look forward to trying this stuff out. Hope it's as good as the Putty Apostles on this site say it is.
Well, I ordered the 1 pound variety yesterday. I can't wait to try it out. I have been wandering in the heat of the bondo glazing putty wilderness and hopefully the oasis of Aves is near from which I may now drink. [-o<
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Hiryu02 wrote:How easy is Aves to work with compared to say, Mr White Putty? I'm experimenting with Mr White right now and I gotta say its frustrating.
It comes out of the tube at toothpaste consistency yet becomes stiff and kinda crumbly very fast.

Also, it's very hard to remove from my tools/fingertips etc. I may be picking up some Aves this weekend, because I want to fill in some gaps in this model I'm working on, and maybe use as a scratchbuilding material.

If anyone can let me know how the different putty's compare (Tamiya, Mr White, Aves etc) I'd be very grateful.
Aves takes 4 hours to cure but the nice thing is you can mix up 2 pounds of the stuff and it'll take 4 hours to cure. It's a 2 part epoxy putty so the cure is by reaction not evaporation. First mixed it's very, very sticky. If the surface it smooth or rough enough it'll stick forever. I've got some on my airbrush handle that's been there for years. Let it sit for a 15 minutes and a lot of the tackyness will disappear. You can work it for several hours if need be. Once cured it sands like styrene. You can roll it out into sheets, machine it on a lathe when hard, polish it to a glossy sheen.

It's Aves, the wonder putty.
Abolish Alliteration
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Hiryu02 wrote:How easy is Aves to work with compared to say, Mr White Putty? I'm experimenting with Mr White right now and I gotta say its frustrating.

Well, first off, Aves doesn't come out of a tube. :D Once you mix it, Aves is somewhat soft. If you let it sit for a bit (15-30) minutes, it gets some body to it, and will hold detail a fair sight better (if you're carving or texturing). It smooths with a finger and some water (I use distilled) or Vick's rub. Aves Safety Solvent is great for thinning it down or clean-up, too. It's great for filling gaps - roll out a tiny snake of Aves, lay it on the gap, smooth with a damp finger, clean up with a moistened Q-tip, and you're done.
There really isn't a comparison to any tubed putty, except to say once you go Aves, you'll never go back...
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Isopopyl alcohol works great for smoothing it too.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 »

Well, thanks for the info. The experiment I did last night with Mr White Putty didnt turn out too great. It marks with me fingernail, and it didnt seem to cure thoroughly. I was able to make a depression at the thickest point and it seemed it had not cured all the way through.

I will try and pick some aves up at the HS tomorrow and see what I can do with it.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Remember, the more you thin the Aves or other epoxy putties, the softer they will cure. As mentioned, let the putty cure for 30-60 min, it will be relatively stiff and less tacky. Then you can roll it into ropes and place it where you want - or into sheets etc. After it's in place you can shape and smooth. Remove excess with alcohol and a brush, clean the surrounding are with alcohol on a paper towel.

Silicone shaping tools are invaluable. Keep them moistened with the alcohol.

Terry Miesle
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Tried some aves for the first time last night on my AMT K'Tinga. Pretty impressive stuff. Does not shrink at all! I mixed it and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I then filled some areas with it and smoothed it with some water and a q-tip. I don't think I will even need to sand the areas. Looks like I will be using it exclusively now. No more bondo for me!
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

modeler1964 wrote:Tried some aves for the first time last night on my AMT K'Tinga. Pretty impressive stuff. Does not shrink at all! I mixed it and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I then filled some areas with it and smoothed it with some water and a q-tip. I don't think I will even need to sand the areas. Looks like I will be using it exclusively now. No more bondo for me!
"'Hallelujah!' sayeth the faithful as they welcomed their brethren to the flock. The hopes of the bondites are dashed upon the rocks of their iniquties but the manna from Aves rains down upon the benches of Aves' faithful. Amen!"

~ Benches 14:40

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

I went to the store tonight, with C.C. in hand and ...... I have to wait.
The Test of my Hypothetical Patience, has begun.
I was going to recieve the Blessings of Aves and the Holy Black C.A. but now must wait.
For, low the faithful hath been there before me.. and I must wait my turn...
"Patience is a Virtue"....sigh...
:wink:
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

How do you guys think aves would be in joining parts together? Apply the aves to one part, squeeze them together and let the excess come out of the seam then scrape/smooth off the seam? Like in this top and bottom join on my KTinga?

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... G_3102.jpg
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I have used Aves as a bond in holy modeling unions for many years. Unlike human unions, these have proven to withstand the ages.

You will want to make sure it's sticky when you do it, and rough the surfaces a bit, or apply bonding pieces - little bits of styrene with cement, for example. The epoxy putty will not stick well to glossy surfaces - which is quite useful.

Terry Miesle
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

Aves, Blessed Among Fillers, has in the past graced the union of styrene to styrene. But has the Greatest of Fillers been known to bless the union of HDPE and styrene? Assuming the surfaces are roughed up first, of course.

Jeff
vlester

Post by vlester »

I know I should not doubt, however I have a question about thine Aves.

Does it dry out in the container? Is there much difference between the putty and the paste?

I'm thinking about using something like that for making Lekku on pilot figures to make Twi'lek pilots for some of my ships.

would Aves allow that?
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Indeed, young Padawan, Aves is your substance of choice.

For the Twi'lek, shape a wire in the attitude you want, and add the Aves around it. Allow it to cure about an hour before trying to really shape it, otherwise it will be too soft and you'll be frustrated.

The putty is very thin, supposedly good for filling, but I haven't had much luck with it. I prefer to thin the putty.

Terry Miesle
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

vlester wrote:I know I should not doubt, however I have a question about thine Aves.

Does it dry out in the container?
Fear not! I keep my Aves in accordance with the blessed sacrament. I have had my original batch since my conversion. I store each in a separate zip lock bag. Also, I have a separate butter knife for each container; there's an "A" and a "B" knife. Cross contamination with any epoxy putty is your enemy when it comes to the evils of dessication. Every once in a while, I will recite some meditations and just drip a few drops of water from my fingertip into the part "B" container. This is something I may do once every six months or so as it's not really a problem.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

vlester wrote:Does it dry out in the container?
It can, but it takes a lot. A year or two (or three?) with mild contamination will lend it to having hardened chunks.

It took me a while to go through my first pound but now I use it alot.
Abolish Alliteration
Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 »

I just tried sanding the blob I had mixed, my first ever test with Aves, and I gotta say this stuff is the...stuff! Sands easy, cures super hard, and I test scribed and it did not chip or flake. I can't wait to start using this in my builds asap.

I must say that I am now a new convert to the church of Aves.

"Yea, for Aves in its mercy soothes the brow of the errant sander, for he who mixes and sands will be blessed, so long that he honor the halves of the Aves...

Letters to the burnishers; 12:1"

My apologies to Zombe for using his premise.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Hiryu02 wrote:I just tried sanding the blob I had mixed, my first ever test with Aves, and I gotta say this stuff is the...stuff! Sands easy, cures super hard, and I test scribed and it did not chip or flake. I can't wait to start using this in my builds asap.

I must say that I am now a new convert to the church of Aves.

"Yea, for Aves in its mercy soothes the brow of the errant sander, for he who mixes and sands will be blessed, so long that he honor the halves of the Aves...

Letters to the burnishers; 12:1"

My apologies to Zombe for using his premise.
No apologies needed, brother Hiryu. Blessings upon ye and thy house.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

davidlgreen

aves imperator !!!

Post by davidlgreen »

just got the aves apoxy sculpt and gotta say that stuff is incredible!
gotta try the putty next.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I don't like the putty, I just thin the paste to the consistency I want.

Terry Miesle
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

Well fold me into the order Im happy with it
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Welcome, new Acolyte of Aves.
One of us...one of us...

Terry Miesle
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Ohm.....

Ohm.....

Oh My, this stuff's good!
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical