gravity feed AB work flow

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

admiralcag

gravity feed AB work flow

Post by admiralcag »

I got an Iwata Revolution last year at WF. I am trying to finish up an F-105G with a 4-color camo scheme. I am currently thinning paint in the color cup. For those of you who use a gravity feed airbrush, what is your work flow for painting?

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

I always mix my paint in a seperate cup(dixie cups) then put them into the hopper. Also i thin my paints to what all say is the consistacy of skim milk. But each type an dcolor of paint is different so you will have to play with it for each color. Also i shoot anywhere from 15 to 25 psi depending on what im doing.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Don't thin in the cup--the ratios can change too drastically.

Thin in a separate bottle.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Thin in the bottle, transfer to cup.

The ComArt & Vallejo bottles are great to keep around for just this reason.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I thin in a Badger/Paasche jar, strain, and use in the receiving Badger/Paasche jar or transfer into the gravity feed cup.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Thanks for the info. BTW, how long do you guys store you thinned paint before throwing it out?

Vern
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

As long as it doesn't dry out, you should be able to keep it indefinitely, as long as you thin with the manufacturer's thinner or a similar mixture.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

admiralcag wrote:Thanks for the info. BTW, how long do you guys store you thinned paint before throwing it out?

Vern
You can throw out paint?
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

admiralcag wrote:Thanks for the info. BTW, how long do you guys store you thinned paint before throwing it out?

Vern
Until it dries out. Oh, in case we didn't mention, don't pour thinned paint back into the original jar with the unthinned stuff. The thinner breaks down the binders or whatever they're called, leading to an unmixable layer of funk at the bottom of the jar..

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I haven't had that problem thinning Tamiya or Gunze paints with IPA, I thin in the bottle all the time. I don't know about Testor's Acryl, that seems pretty close to ideal airbrush consistency already.

Terry Miesle
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

TER-OR wrote:I haven't had that problem thinning Tamiya or Gunze paints with IPA, I thin in the bottle all the time. I don't know about Testor's Acryl, that seems pretty close to ideal airbrush consistency already.
Do you have a rough ratio? I'm still working on the milk consitency thing. The kids drink it up so fast, I never have something to compare my paint to :twisted:

Vern
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:

Vern
Until it dries out. Oh, in case we didn't mention, don't pour thinned paint back into the original jar with the unthinned stuff. The thinner breaks down the binders or whatever they're called, leading to an unmixable layer of funk at the bottom of the jar..
It will dry out before turning to sludge? I must not use my paint fast enough :shock:

Vern
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If you're thinning Tamiya with Tamiya thinner I've never had it separate.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

admiralcag wrote: Do you have a rough ratio? I'm still working on the milk consitency thing. The kids drink it up so fast, I never have something to compare my paint to :twisted:

Vern
Not anything specific. Somewhere between 30-50% for most of their paints.

Terry Miesle
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

I've thinned the colors and placed them in some ComArt bottles I got at WF. It works really well. The only problem I encountered, and it really is more of a PITA thing, is when I need to run some thinner through the brush to unclog the tip. Using the ComArt bottles, I have someplace to put the thinned paint.

Thanks for the assist, guys :D

Vern
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

TER-OR wrote:I haven't had that problem thinning Tamiya or Gunze paints with IPA, I thin in the bottle all the time. I don't know about Testor's Acryl, that seems pretty close to ideal airbrush consistency already.
Maybe it's just an enamel thing, then. Don't get me wrong, I don't do it with either, but since Erin turned me on to this, I've never looked back whether it's 44-cent craft garbage or Tamiya good stuff.

Thoughts?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've only encountered it with Model Master enamels. Almost any other brand, I've never had any issue with thinning in the bottle WITH THE MANUFACTURERS THINNER!

A related question--what's the shelf life of hobby paints? I know in the artist community, it's close to 10 years...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin