AMBROID PRO WELD QUESTIONS

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

AMBROID PRO WELD QUESTIONS

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I have just purchase a bottle of ambroid pro-weld and this will be the first time using it. I have always used testors cement in the square bottle, and the testors clear parts cement. I see that the pro-weld has a brush applicator,and there is a method of capilary action in applying this cement. My project is the PL SEAVIEW right now, I want to try this capilary ( pain meds got me foggy sorry) action and need to know the "fine method" of doing this. questions

1) how does the PRO-WELD compare with testors cement,

2) CAN PRO-WELD BE USED ON CLEAR PARTS ????

thanks,

Bert
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

1) Pro-weld is a lot hotter than Testors and does not give you as much wiggle-room to reposition the parts.

2) You can use it on clear parts but you probably don't want to. I recommend you "stick" to using the Testors clear parts cement or use white glue. Future is good for fixing clear parts in place, too.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Ambroid ProWeld is to Testors liquid cement as a fine sippin' whiskey is to Babst Blue Ribbon.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

Thanks, I have heard all good things about pro-weld :)
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
SoundEffect

Post by SoundEffect »

If you have a plastics manufacturer in your area, you could see if they sell a chemical called 'methylene chloride' or sometimes referred to as 'SC-94'. That chemical is similar if not the same as the commercial name Pro-Weld. You can get it in larger quantities, like 1L cans or bottles and the cost savings are immense.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Caution, though: MEK, or methylene chloride is wonderful in gluing plastic, but extremely dangerous to work with. It is mutagenic (therefore cancer inducing) and can be absorbed either through the skin or the lungs (as you breathe the fumes). Exposure is cumulative, so go easy with it.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
slowthing

Post by slowthing »

Wug

Post by Wug »

USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Wug wrote:MEK and Methylene chloride are different chemicals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane
Ditto that

MEK is 'Methyl Ethyl Ketone' which is a whole different animal than Methylene Chloride

MEK is a common ingredient in many adhesives - notably those that are used on closed-cell foam - we use it at my work to remove things like contact cement and cleaning the stainless steel frames and panels of the machines we build.

Atlantis
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Apparently Ambroid ProWeld is nigh impossible to find once your dealer runs out. All of the local hobby shops here tell me that it's been discontinued and Micro Mark is showing on their web site that it's been replaced with "SAME STUFF PROFESSIONAL PLASTIC WELDER REFILL, 2 FL. OZ. Item Number: 84113"

The bottle looks the same, they say it's the same, but it looks like Ambroid, whoever he is, has been booted. This means that it may be hard or impossible for LHS to get the stuff as it's MicroMark brand now. My LHS can still get Tenax, so they say, but they told me to forget ProWeld. Well, I like ProWeld better, dang it!

Just something I thought you might wanna know...

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Crap. I guess I'd better stock up.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

No doubt! Me and Sal thought we'd found a new source for it at Micromark a few months back. We went to order more this past saturday night and found the replacement stuff. Hopefully it'll be a permanent addition to their catalog!

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models