Chrome in a spray bomb?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kun2112

Chrome in a spray bomb?

Post by Kun2112 »

I am now on my third spray bomb of "Chrome" paint from autoparts and supply stores. they all look like run of the mill silver paint even when applied over a gloss black base coat.

I haven't used the Alcald but I'm trying to match a model part that came "chromed".

Any suggestions wise and sagely modelers?
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Dump the "Chrome" spray bombs from the hardware/auto store. They are nothing more than silver, with a little extra clear. And as you can tell, they suck.

Tester's Chrome spray bomb is pretty good. Not great, but not bad. Get the Alclad. Other than having the part powder coated or using chrome foil... It's the only option.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Johnnycrash wrote:Dump the "Chrome" spray bombs from the hardware/auto store. They are nothing more than silver, with a little extra clear. And as you can tell, they suck.

Tester's Chrome spray bomb is pretty good. Not great, but not bad. Get the Alclad. Other than having the part powder coated or using chrome foil... It's the only option.
The automotive ones all suck except for the Rustoleum ones. I applied Rustoleum chrome silver over Krylon gloss black and smooth, polished plastic and Aves. It looks as perfectly "chromy" as can be; I used it for the soon-to-be-finished N-1000's intake spikes and exhaust finnials.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Ah, what you need is Alsa MirrorChrome
Abolish Alliteration
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

I can't prasie Alclad Chrome high enough
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Kylwell wrote:Ah, what you need is Alsa MirrorChrome
Kylwell, I really respect your opinion, but that seems really pricey. Have you had any personal experience with the product?
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Kun2112 wrote:
Kylwell wrote:Ah, what you need is Alsa MirrorChrome
Kylwell, I really respect your opinion, but that seems really pricey. Have you had any personal experience with the product?
I've never used it, but I've seen the results in person. For chrome out of a spray bomb it's the best. Otherwise I'd say Alclad Chrome. Yeah, $40 a can is a bit pricey.
Abolish Alliteration
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Found this online last night:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... p?t=638256
going to try it out tonight as my LHS keeps it in stock
Will let you all know the results
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well, all I can say is both the Alclad and the Alsa is supposed to be sprayed over a coat of gloss black.

Now, if you really want scary, find a Gunze Plated Silver marker. For a marker, the results are stunning.

I'm curious to see how the Spazstix works, I've seen the paint but never see it used.
Abolish Alliteration
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Very good results for a first run. I'm going to try over a better glosscoat this weekend (This one was a little orange-peel-ish). Will post pics.
BTW, built you carbon bucket booth filter tonight: Very cool! :D
Think I'm going to take it to the next club meeting....
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

It took a while to get a feel for it, but here you go:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/K ... CN0425.jpg
next to a chrome sprue from a Revell chopper kit