Wave Black

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kun2112

Wave Black

Post by Kun2112 »

I fainally have broken out this stuff, but I do have one questions: How much work time do I have until it sets up to harder than styrene?
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

A fairly long time, like a couple of minutes. It'll set in spots around the edge after thirty seconds or so, but most of it will remain squishy for a surprisingly long time.

On the one hand this means that you've got a lot of positioning time, to the point where you can even break and reseat a seemingly set join within the first few minutes without having to reapply the glue.

On the other hand it makes handling a PITA. I've found that having a clamping, pinning, or jigging scheme for the parts is essential, otherwise you can end up sitting there holding the parts in place for up to ten or fifteen minutes. Even after it's initially set, the glue remains weak for a while, so anything glued under tension needs to remain clamped until the stuff has fully cured (hours).

Once the stuffs all cured though, it's great. It has all the strength of regular CA, but with an added hint of flexibility that makes the joint extra secure.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

& watch using accelerators with it, as it can form a shell with a hollow gooey center.

When filling really big gaps I'll put in a little, hit it with the accelerator add some more, etc.

Filled a 1/4 hole in less than 10 minutes this way.
Abolish Alliteration
karim

Post by karim »

Kylwell wrote:& watch using accelerators with it, as it can form a shell with a hollow gooey center.

MMmmmmmmmmm..... gooey center..... :D
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

I ordered one of these little black bottles for $12, and I got to say it was one of the worst experiences of my life. It never went where I wanted, I had to SQUEEZE hard as I could for it to even flow, and when it did, SPLAT. I got it everywhere (and I'm careful) and it really wasn't what it was hyped up to be. After two tries with it, I gave the bottle away. Never again.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

PEBKAC :twisted:
Abolish Alliteration
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

:?: Whu?
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Problem exists between keyboard and chair. (or would it be 'kranium and chair?'

Don't squeeze the bottle, just upend it and it'll flow (like ketchup). Says so on the bottle. It's really magic stuff once you get the hang of it. Although I think I'm starting to get a bit of a CA allergy, so I now have to do all my CA'ing in a paint booth.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin