Problem Printing Decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thomas E. Johnson

Problem Printing Decals

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I'm having trouble printing some decals. They are rendered in grey, which is correct, and print grey when I print them on normal white copy paper. However when I print them on clear ink jet Decal paper they print out in a brown color Whats going on here?????? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Thomas E. Johnson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Boy... er... uhm... sounds like something in the paper is altering the ink color. Is it the same printer settings?
Abolish Alliteration
Thomas E. Johnson

Kylwell wrote:Boy... er... uhm... sounds like something in the paper is altering the ink color. Is it the same printer settings?
Same settings.
Thomas E. Johnson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Is it printing just black ink or is it a 4c gray?
Abolish Alliteration
Thomas E. Johnson

Kylwell wrote:Is it printing just black ink or is it a 4c gray?
Its printing all the colors, and the printer is in good working order. But for some reason, the color grey is coming out as brown.
Thomas E. Johnson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sounds like the the paper is absorbing the ink improperly or... and this gets tricky... the printer is printing equal amounts of all 4 colors which tend to make mud. A proper gray is a % of some mixture like 100c75m50y100b. But, it'd look brown on paper too if that was the issue. Sounds like a paper problem. Not sure of a fix.
Abolish Alliteration
Thomas E. Johnson

Kylwell wrote:Sounds like the the paper is absorbing the ink improperly or... and this gets tricky... the printer is printing equal amounts of all 4 colors which tend to make mud. A proper gray is a % of some mixture like 100c75m50y100b. But, it'd look brown on paper too if that was the issue. Sounds like a paper problem. Not sure of a fix.
I got the same results when I tried it on white decal paper to. :roll:
Thomas E. Johnson
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote: I got the same results when I tried it on white decal paper to. :roll:
You sure you haven't got a RGB vs CYM problem there.

Those are 2 standards for color recognition on PC's/Printers, if your image is one format and the printer produces the other you might get that results.

HTH.
Thomas E. Johnson

Zen-Builder wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote: I got the same results when I tried it on white decal paper to. :roll:
You sure you haven't got a RGB vs CYM problem there.

Those are 2 standards for color recognition on PC's/Printers, if your image is one format and the printer produces the other you might get that results.

HTH.
No, it prints in the proper colors when I print the images on plain white copy paper. When I print it on decal paper, either clear or white decal paper, the greys come out brown.
Thomas E. Johnson
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There is a sticky thread for home made decals.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati