Shrinkage

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Shrinkage

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

Is it the rubber that shrinks, the liquid plastic or both? Can this be avoided? Are there different types of materials that do not shrink? Is the shrinkage uniform?
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Depends on how cold the water is. :D
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

My experiances taught me that Platinum cure silicones shrink the least.
As for shrinkage in the resin...totally variable...depends on type.
Smooth-On's site includes shrinkage factors for all thier silicones and urethanes.

Hope that helps...

Modelnutz :8)
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

modelnutz wrote:My experiances taught me that Platinum cure silicones shrink the least.
As for shrinkage in the resin...totally variable...depends on type.
Smooth-On's site includes shrinkage factors for all thier silicones and urethanes.

Hope that helps...

Modelnutz :8)
Modelnutz

My concern is that when I'm casting a model in several pieces -- do the individual pieces shrink at different rates? This would be a real problem in having everything fit together in the end. What's your experience been?
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen