Basics. Airbrushing.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Can you all recommend the best source for international airbrush orders? (looking at badger 360)

Found Dixie art supplies which looked great but they want to charge $100 us for postage
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

BearAir
DickBlick
Airbrush Depot
Airbrush Store

Depending on what you're looking for.
Abolish Alliteration
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Depending on what you're looking for.
That's the shizzel!

I will check them all out when I finally have time.
I'm after (probably) a badger 360 with good international freight rates[/quote]
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Hey, gang:

I pre-ordered a couple of the FM Y-wing kits, and to mark the occasion, I'm considering upgrading my airbrush setup from the cheapie Aztec compressor/airbrush I used for the FM Falcon, to something of higher quality.

The caveats here are that I'm still an airbrushing novice and I don't do a lot of modeling (maybe one kit a year), so it doesn't make sense for me to invest thousands of dollars on a top-of-the-line compressor/brush.

My budget is a few hundred dollars (let's call it under $500). My rationale is that even if I don't build another kit after completing the Y and never airbrush again, it's always good to have compressor around for, um, inflating bike tires, right...? At least that's what I can tell the wife.

So, like, an inexpensive compressor from Harbor Freight, and, like, a Badger 360? Or something similar?

Thanks!

Atticus
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I have a badger Crescendo 175 and its kind of gunked up. I was wondering the best way to remove all the paint from inside of it. I know there are certain ones you can't soak because of O-rings and whatnot. So if someone could give some advice on a good way to remove all that garbage without screwing it up that would be great.
thanks
"It matters if you just don't give up"
~Stephen Hawking
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If it's acrylic, soak in alcohol to start. If enamel, use lacquer thinner. And you can use lacquer thinner with acrylic too. It shouldn't hurt things, but don't leave it soaking for too long. Try it after an hour or so, then again every so often.

Cleaning with cotton swabs and paper towels with that thinner is a good first start, after you can open things up. Then completely dismantle it and clean everywhere.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Thanks. I'll have to give that a try. Maybe over the weekend........
Hopefully I'll have enough time.
thanks again
~Stephen Hawking
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Now here is an airbrush newbie question... (like I don't ask enough of them) :shock:

Just got some ab lube for my ab (revolution CR) and was wondering... where does one drip the lube? Down the trigger? In the cup? :looky:

How often are you suppose to lube it up? :-s
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Trigger. Its for lubing the back end of the needle and the valve.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Don't drip the lube. Remove the trigger and needle. Put some lube on a paper towel, and coat a small amount on the aft half of the needle and the trigger itself. Dripping the lube may cause you problems if it gets somewhere it shouldn't be.

Terry Miesle
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Remove the trigger and needle.
Ok, needle... I can do that, but the trigger... never did that before! :-s

Hope I can put it back together! #-o :wink:

Thanks
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

On the subject of lube for your airbrush.
Does it matter what you use?
Is there a specific kind?
~Stephen Hawking
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I got some with an airbrushing kit. It's some sort of thin water-soluble (I think) lube. It says it's not silicone. A brand name is Needle Juice.

Terry Miesle
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Iwata has Super Lube...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
starmanmm

Water from the AB

Post by starmanmm »

After doing a base coat, I cleaned my AB and I was just messing around with my Iwata Revolution and noticed something funny.

After about two to three minutes of continuing spraying (no paint, just blasting it while I was thinking about my next move on this kit) water started to come out of it. :-s It stopped after a minute or two, but I never noticed that before.

Now the compressor I have is the Iwata Smart Jet Pro which comes with a moisture trap.

So I figured that maybe the trap was full so I releaved the plug and some water came out but when I tried the AB again... the same thing happened again after a few minutes. #-o

It did stop after a few seconds but that was weird.

Ok, so does this mean that I need to install another moisture trap along the line? :-k
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Water from the AB

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

starmanmm wrote:After doing a base coat, I cleaned my AB and I was just messing around with my Iwata Revolution and noticed something funny.

After about two to three minutes of continuing spraying (no paint, just blasting it while I was thinking about my next move on this kit) water started to come out of it. :-s It stopped after a minute or two, but I never noticed that before.

Now the compressor I have is the Iwata Smart Jet Pro which comes with a moisture trap.

So I figured that maybe the trap was full so I releaved the plug and some water came out but when I tried the AB again... the same thing happened again after a few minutes. #-o

It did stop after a few seconds but that was weird.

Ok, so does this mean that I need to install another moisture trap along the line? :-k
Two thoughts:

First, was the moisture trap upright? Secondly I have heard of - never experienced - under very pressure that the velocity of air overwhelms the moisture trap. Is the trap mounted directly on the compressor, or is it in-line? The velocity of the air is significantly greater at the compressor than it is further down the line, meaning it "blows by" the trap. I would think you might try a larger trap if this becomes a problem.

Also, the simplest explanation is there could have been backflow into the line from a past cleaning. :)

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Here is the site that shows what my compressor looks like.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/com ... o_info.jsp

As you can see it is up right.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've had something similar happen, but it was with a bit of oil in the line after my trap. I installed one of the Iwata pistol grip filters, and haven't looked back since.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Hi all,

Over the past couple of airbrush sessions, there as been a tiny paint clot (bloob) appearing on the top of the needle peice. So when you go and spray something the bloob getts bigger and bigger, and eventually you get little paint droplets on the model. It's not a big problem, I mean if it happens I just get a paper towel and dab it and the 'bloobual' goes away. Its just starting to annoy me now.

Any one know if im doing anthing wrong?
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

If you are using acrylic paint... it is the nature of the beast. :pbbt:

Acrylic paint gathers on the tip as you spray. I use a micro brush dipped in W&N brush cleaner and wipe the tip clear after a minute or two of using the AB. It is a process that I have to do to keep the tip clear and is a bit of a pain but like I said... it is the nature of the paint. :xbones:
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Cheers, that clears it up :)
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Actually, it doesn't.

99% of what I spray is acrylic and I've never had the issue. My old POS Paasche used to do it with thinned Testors enamels but only when I'd mixed the wrong needle with the wrong tip.
Abolish Alliteration
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Then I don't know what to tell ya... everyone else I know that spray acrylics has that problem and that is how we deal with it. :?
SJM

Post by SJM »

Kylwell wrote:Actually, it doesn't.

99% of what I spray is acrylic and I've never had the issue. My old POS Paasche used to do it with thinned Testors enamels but only when I'd mixed the wrong needle with the wrong tip.
Righto,

Could it be that I hav'nt mixed the thinner in with the paint thoroughly enough? Im using the same tip the came with the airbrush, so I doubt its the wrong one.

As I said its not a big problem, I'd just like to know why my paints have started doing that.

On another note, is it possible to spray an ink wash through an airbrush? I think I've heard of the technique before. Info anyone?

Tranya Addict.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

An ink wash? Like an ink-in-Future glaze?
Washes typically you remove some and keep the rest in recesses. Glazes you brush on and allow to well in recesses.

Airbrushing usually gives you thin, uniform coats - what you'd get with an ink would likely be a tinting effect.

Terry Miesle
apsilon

Post by apsilon »

Not then I'm very experienced given I've only been at it for a couple of weeks but the only times I've had acrylic gather on the tip was when I tried too low a pressure and/or the paint wasn't thinned enough.
SJM

Post by SJM »

TER-OR wrote:An ink wash? Like an ink-in-Future glaze?
Washes typically you remove some and keep the rest in recesses. Glazes you brush on and allow to well in recesses.

Airbrushing usually gives you thin, uniform coats - what you'd get with an ink would likely be a tinting effect.
Ok, thanks. Im not too sure what sort of wash it is, the only wash I've used is the Citadel brush on stuff. Is this suitable for running through an airbrush?

Tranya Addict.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

While you can probably airbrush it, you won't get a wash. You'll get a thin coat of color. The airbrush isn't for washes or glazes. You need a hand-brush for that, to direct the concentration where you need. The airbrush is for uniform coats and variations thereof - like fading etc.

So do your airbrushing for color coats. Then details and washes, glazes etc, will be via hand. Citadel and Reaper diluted inks fit in the glaze category.

Terry Miesle
SJM

Post by SJM »

Thanks

Tranya Addict.
Orion

Post by Orion »

So in my hurry to get to my first model, I probably airbrushed before I was really ready on a model. And while the paint was cured, back on the bench I gathered several good scratches and gouges in the acrylic paint. I was worried that when I went back over it with additional layers, it would be uneven. For the subsequent layers, I thinned the paint (apple barrel craft paint) with Future. I AB'd 3 layers with the Future mix, as opposed to the 5 with the original. The Future mix completely covered the scratches, and blended more than perfect with the rest of the paint, which needless to say impressed me. I was wondering if this was just an effect of acrylic paint in general, or if it had something to do with the Future that was mixed into it. Either way, I'm more than pleased with the results, but nice to know what caused it.

I also can't believe just how much strength that Future seems to give to the paint. I tried to scratch it after it dried enough for what would have brought paint off with paint without Future, and it wouldn't budge. This stuff if great. And a pleasant smell to boot.