Now the fun stuff...Advice on actual airbrushing

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Orion

Now the fun stuff...Advice on actual airbrushing

Post by Orion »

:twisted: I sat down yesterday for my first real session of airbrushing. I loved every second. I bought a small car kit to assemble to practice with all around, including airbrushing and so far I don't think I've managed to really screw anything up very bad. I'd like to say what I did, what I discovered, and then let you nice people beat me over the head with what I did wrong.

For starters, I used apple barrel craft paint that I thinned with windex with ammonia. (Later yesterday after a brief search I discovered that this Future floor polish stuff works better apparently, or at least is more recomended. Will be hopefully picking up some today if I can find some.) I started with I around a 2 oz. mixture of paint, laying it out at 10 psi. At first I found that when I had the brush closer than 3in. from the body, that it would push and smear the paint. But I think this was because I was allowing WAY to much paint to accumulate at one place. I also had a few problems with drips in some areas, again I blame it on the above.
MY THOUGHTS ON THE SOLUTION- Once I thinned it out it was very runny anyway, so seems that I was just laying the paint too thick. I think that part of me was expecting to get it done in a single coat, hence the reason I wanted to lay it down thick. But once common sense caught back up with me and I realized that I could get much better looking layers I was able to back off of the paint, and (duh) amazingly no drips, no runs and the color was starting to get much more even. Plus just by holding the brush over the area I just painted with air only it helped dry it in seconds.

Secondly, seems to stem from the problems of drips, but on some areas of the model, some seem to be a little bit darker than the rest. I tried going over these areas several times with light coats hoping that they would blend in, but it didn't seem to do much. My guess is it's where a drip has dried, and therefore thicker paint in the area. Is there a simple way to mask or blend these area's without taking the paint off and starting over?

Next problem I've noticed is dust and hair. I live with 2 long hair cats and 1 long haired wife, so there's plenty of stuff floating around and on everything. It's not that bad, but I did pull a few hairs off while the model was drying and they left small indentions where it was. Also small dust particles are also present that are embedded in the paint. I'm not sure how to get these out without damaging the majority of the paint job. Again, any thoughts on the cure, or the prevention of these would be appreciated. I did the painting in my garage, and I know there is all sorts of stuff floating about in there.

But overall I'm pleased with my first real use of my airbrush. Thanks mainly to reading the FAQ's and forums here. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes when I can, but there aint no substitute for learning like screwing something up yourself :D
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

The Apple Barrel will airbrush nicely with the Future method of thinning. And yes keep the airbush moving. Don't try to get it all in one coat. Several lighter coats will be best. When you're done with each coat, have a clean cardboard box ready and place it over the model. This should minimize the cat hair, etc. It's hard to eliminate every particle of dust.

Be sure to keep your airbrushed clean and test out paint on scrap plastic, cardboard, etc. each session before moving to the model. There have been times when I'm in a hurry and I haven't done this and I get a bad spray on the model.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Orion

Post by Orion »

Ahh, I hadn't thought about boxing it up while it dried. The simple things always seem to elude me.

I was running a few oz of Windex though the brush between coats as I let it dry to clean it out. Seemed to work well for now at least, as I did get any splatters or inconsistencies (from the brush anyway) yesterday. But I can see why it would be a good idea to test spray first. Thanks for the help.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have an old desk in the basement, and cover the subject with an overturned bin while drying. It's not AS good as I'd like, but when I'm careful it's pretty good.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Orion

Post by Orion »

I'm sure that part of my problem with dust and other particles is that I'm airbrushing in the garage, which has all sorts of unidentifiable stuff floating around I'm sure in addition to the normal house dust/cat hair. I don't fore see myself doing a whole lot of brushing, but a spraybooth that I could use inside the house sure would be nice, and would probably cut down on a lot of this stuff. I've bumped into a few threads about them, and they didn't look expensive (nor difficult) to build, so I may try on that filters inside first since it is a bit cold to have windows open right now.

My lovely wife had bought some rubbermaid like containers that have a locking lid, and I was quick enough to snatch one of these to place the model in while drying. The lid isn't tight enough to restrict a lot of airflow though, but looks like enough to keep out most of the 'junk'.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Oh goodness, I think I found it. I ended up striping a corvette body twice this week, but I've finally gotten to the point where I can lay a nice super smooth layer of paint down, and man does it look good!! Seems that part of my problem was me by trying to put the paint on to thick and to quick. And secondly I was using paint that was too thick. Once I got these in line, it all started to line up.

But, I'm still getting hair stuck in the paint. And it looks like it's getting on the subject while I'm still painting. I don't think that anything has gotten into the paint however, but I don't filter it so can't say for sure I guess. It's not many places on the subject, but I do tend to be a bit obsessive over details.

What would it take to get rid of the places. I've got a good majority of the subject looking good, and I'd hate to strip it down to the bare plastic if I have to, but if I do, I do. I don't think that I'd be able to build up the paint enough to cover up the hairs evenly. I think I'm going to try to clean off the affected area of all paint, then repaint that area an see how that looks. Think this will blend the 'good' and the 'bad' area's in perfectly so long as I take my time?

This is wonderfull though. For every milestone I've made so far in learning, I know I've screwed something up at least 3 times. :wink: I know more ways NOT to AB than how too, but it's all a learning process and I've been enjoying every minute (granted a few have been more frustrating than others).
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Sometimes messing it up a few times is the best learning process. Just keep at it and take notes as you go, so you don't make the same mistakes. Show us your work when you're finished.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?