Removing Future

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Slave1

Removing Future

Post by Slave1 »

My Fine Molds Slave 1 cockpit was a bit scratched up when I received it. After giving it a dunk in Future I can see that there are spots where the future was too think and ran down the side similar to when you spray paint something in the same spot for too long.
So is there any way to remove this? Am I just going to have to sand it with a REALLY fine sandpaper and then give it another dunk in future?
Also should I be dilluting the future?
Wug

Post by Wug »

Try soaking the part in rubbing alcohol, window cleaner or an ammonia and water solution. You might need to scrub it out of seams with a soft toothbrush.

I've never diluted future for dunk coating. Depending on the part, sometimes you can blot drops away as they form while the Future is wet.

HTH

Mike
Slave1

Post by Slave1 »

Wug wrote:Try soaking the part in rubbing alcohol, window cleaner or an ammonia and water solution. You might need to scrub it out of seams with a soft toothbrush.

I've never diluted future for dunk coating. Depending on the part, sometimes you can blot drops away as they form while the Future is wet.

HTH

Mike
So is the stuff pretty easy to get off then? I'm just worried that I'll mess this up. Clear pieces NEED to be clear to look good.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I've used denatured alcohol to remove future before. As far as a solvent goes, it's stronger than the 70% isopropyl alcohol I use but nowhere near as strong as lacquer thinner. I would recommend wearing latex gloves with it though as it is considered poisonous and can be absorbed thru the skin.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Window cleaner with ammonia works like a charm.
Ispopropyl alcohol works well too.

Don't worry, you'll be able to remove the Future. I've re-coated canopies several times before I was satisfied.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati