Cutting very small diamater tube

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kun2112

Cutting very small diamater tube

Post by Kun2112 »

I am trying to cut some brass tube with an OD of just .008 inch. I want the cut to be perpendicular to the outer edge (straight cross cut). The problem I am running into is that due to the tube's rather small size, it is flexing when I use my razor saw.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Just roll an xacto blade on it until it gets a good groove in it, then snap it off like styrene.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: Cutting very small diamater tube

Post by USS Atlantis »

Kun2112 wrote:I am trying to cut some brass tube with an OD of just .008 inch. I want the cut to be perpendicular to the outer edge (straight cross cut). The problem I am running into is that due to the tube's rather small size, it is flexing when I use my razor saw.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.
Get a small miter-box, pull the tube to the nearest corner, apply cutting pressure only on the pull stroke, never on the push stroke

Atlantis
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Cut it to about the length you want, chuck it into a pin vise and dress up the end with a sharpening stone. The pin vise or drill chuck will hold it, and the stone or emery paper stuck to a sheet of glass will square off the end.
Andrew
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Thanks all, and especially Erin....
Worked like a charm. :D
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

DasPhule wrote:Just roll an xacto blade on it until it gets a good groove in it, then snap it off like styrene.

Erin
<*>

Ditto :wink:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=