Suggestions please (on small scale RCS thruster details)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

modelnutz

Suggestions please (on small scale RCS thruster details)

Post by modelnutz »

on fabricating small scale RCS thruster details on a master for a resin kit.
I've tried a few ideas, but I'm not really satisfied yet.
I turn to the scratch kings out there for ideas.

I believe that the scale I'm using is 1:500 so their pretty small.

I await your suggestions...

Modelnutz :8)
"the name sez it all"
Dakota_in_the_sky

Post by Dakota_in_the_sky »

Do you have links to photos of this item? I'm not familiar with the term RCS
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Dakota_in_the_sky wrote:Do you have links to photos of this item? I'm not familiar with the term RCS
RCS stands for Reaction Control System

On the current shuttle, they're the small jets they use for close maneuvering - such as docking at the ISS

On the Enterprise, they're the equivalent of "thrusters" - used for slow, detailed maneuvering - such as leaving Spacedock

These could be ports on the hull, or as in the case of Space-1999 vehicles, directed nozzles.

I'm not a scratchbuilder - yet - hope to get there someday

Atlantis
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

You could try some Wave Options parts, or Kotobukia thrusters, available in the Starship Modeler store.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

At that scale, aren't you simply looking at a couple of dimples? Or are you talking about an assembly external to the skin?

On an unrelated topic, I've just seen the first parts of the project we've been discussing, and they are looking great! I never would have guessed that a Thompson gun would look soooo cool in 1/6th. :D
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

What I have currently are dimples.
They do OK to represent RCS thrusters....But....I was kinda hopin' fer a stellar idea to take them to the next level.

The detail is cast in place and is flush to the surface ( not like an Apollo era thruster....)
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

On an unrelated topic, I've just seen the first parts of the project we've been discussing, and they are looking great! I never would have guessed that a Thompson gun would look soooo cool in 1/6th. :D[/quote]

????????????? :?
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

If they are dimples, they might as well be NICE dimples. Maybe a nice straight sided cone cut with a dental burr, and then drop a tiny bead down the middle for a little interest.
Andrew
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Another option would be a thin PE rectangle (with corners cut to make it interesting) folded in half, with the RCS engines represented as hole (or holes) on each half. Something like this quick & dirty drawing. Glue that to the master & cast it.

Frank