My take on the bussard collectors for TOS-E

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

My take on the bussard collectors for TOS-E

Post by USS Atlantis »

I took a different route from others

My bussard design - including basic build instructions can be found at my web-site or direct from here -> http://www.citlink.net/~starwinddesign/ ... lector.htm

Let me know what you people think of this one

Atlantis
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Nice! (guessing based on the measurement of the circle template...) It's not for the 1:1000 scale Enterprise, right? Here's what I really like about this work:
  • You got 12 LEDs in there - the proper number IIRC... (Mine only has 10)
  • Your choice of LEDs - it seems like you chose the right component for the job (as opposed to picking what's readily available - 3mm LEDs - as many people do)
  • It seems like you managed to make a pretty simple job of this problem...
If you have a drill press, there are ways you could get the hole placement more precise - but behind a frosted dome it probably doesn't make much difference...

Speaking of frosted domes: when I frosted the domes on my Enterprise nacelles I found that if the engine lights were too far away from the frosted plastic, they became indistinct. Did you have any similar troubles?
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

tetsujin wrote:Nice! (guessing based on the measurement of the circle template...) It's not for the 1:1000 scale Enterprise, right? Here's what I really like about this work:
  • You got 12 LEDs in there - the proper number IIRC... (Mine only has 10)
  • Your choice of LEDs - it seems like you chose the right component for the job (as opposed to picking what's readily available - 3mm LEDs - as many people do, or picking something that might be smaller than you need - like the SMD LEDs I used...)
  • It seems like you managed to make a pretty simple job of this problem...
If you have a drill press, there are ways you could get the hole placement more precise - but behind a frosted dome it probably doesn't make much difference...

Speaking of frosted domes: when I frosted the domes on my Enterprise nacelles I found that if the engine lights were too far away from the frosted plastic, they became indistinct. Did you have any similar troubles?
No, this is for the AMT 18"

Yes, when I found the 1.8mm I KNEW they were the one's I wanted to use, notice I also put a link directly to those LED's. Unique is where I get all my LED's.

I tried to make it as simple as possible, since the 4017 can sink up to 200ma (IIRC) and the circuit will pull a max of 120ma (when the 2nd one is built) I felt confident in using the LED's in parallel. Also makes for a more resilient circuit... if 1 LED fails, it doesn't bring down the whole group.

The dome frosting is a 'byproduct'. I cast those purposefully allowing air bubbles to creep in. I'm also looking for some prismatic sheets that I can cut to put between the LED's and the dome.

I do have a drill-press, but rarely use it for things this small.

As for the distance, I have the styrene disk cut to fit inside the outer part of the dome piece, but smaller than the inner, so it butts right up against the neck-down.

Atlantis
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Hey thanks so much for posting this. really nice work there!
Morty Seinfeld

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

linky no worky

"Not Found"
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."
USS Atlantis

Post by USS Atlantis »

Morty Seinfeld wrote:linky no worky

"Not Found"
Sorry, Morty,

Since I posted that, I moved the whole Bussard construction to the main TOS-E build page Here

Atlantis
Morty Seinfeld

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

Oh I see now. Great work btw!
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."