Series vs Parallel

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

lambda_epsilon

Series vs Parallel

Post by lambda_epsilon »

Am i correct in assuming that its probably a better idea to wire stuff up in series vs parallel?
Aaron
Kenny

Re: Series vs Parallel

Post by Kenny »

lambda_epsilon wrote:Am i correct in assuming that its probably a better idea to wire stuff up in series vs parallel?
depends on what it is. Most of my leds are a series of two or three with a resistor in parallel with another or many of the same.

Simply put: lots in series will have a low out put of light (due to using up all the volts) while lots in parallel will drain the current and make the battery run out sooner.
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sorry dude no free power.

That said any configuration that eliminates or reduces the amount of resistors used means you're not wasting energy in the resistor.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Sparky wrote:Sorry dude no free power.

That said any configuration that eliminates or reduces the amount of resistors used means you're not wasting energy in the resistor.
Case in point, my Bussard arrangement

24 LED's, all hooked in parallel - 4 sets of 6, ONE resistor for the entire batch

Atlantis