Looking for a good putty.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

redfinger

Looking for a good putty.

Post by redfinger »

I have used the milliput stuff, tamiya basic putty and a few other things.
Each has there specific use.

I a looking for a putty that fills quickly and sands easily. I have a macross project I am working on and now that the frame of wat I have is roughed in I need to do a lot of sanding and filling to make it all smooth.

I find the milliput is very smooth but hard to sand, the tamiya stuff, while easy to sand, doesnt fill very well. I was thinking of using joint compound, for drywall...this stuff fills well, it is cheap and sands well to, the water based nature makes cleanup a snap. And after a good coat of primer just about anyhting can go on it.

Any other suggestions?

Ashton
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

You have Aves and Magic Sculp, which are two part epoxy putties. They're similar to Milliput, though.

Another option is dental acrylic powder, which is also used in fake fingernail repair kits. The material is a powder and a very stinky activator but the resulting acrylic dries quickly, clear and it's about the same hardness as styrene, so it's very easy to sand. The two drawbacks are the brain cell killing stench and the price.

You can also use CA + baking soda or CA + talc, as described by Ward Shrake.

The drywall compound will probably shrink as it dries, so it's probably not a good option.

Frank
vaderman

Post by vaderman »

Go to you local auto store and look for Bondo Glazing & Spot putty in the body repair/auto paint section. It is usually in a red and black tube. Make sure you get the one that is ready to go from the tube and not the one that you have to add the hardener to. It is similar to using Squadron Green, but I find it fills better and does not shrink or crack as much. It also sands wonderfully.

Here is what it looks like. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... n=week0707

I never fill seams or imperfections without it. :wink:

Scott
Do or Do Not....There is No Try!

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!
Woody

Post by Woody »

The best putty I ever used was Dr.Micro Tool but it's not available anymore.
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Ive got some Squadron green, havnt used it yet because the caution labels put me off quite alot :scared:
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Just toss the Squadron Green, it's quite possible the worse filling made (only thing worse would be that Testors tube crap).

Let see...

Mori-Mori
Aves
Magic Sculpt
Magic Smooth
Tamiya Poly filler
Wave Black CA

I think that's it...
Abolish Alliteration
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Like Vader says, grab some Bondo spot putty. That's all I use for most filling needs(MagicSculp for heavy filling/build-up) and its dirt cheap.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

AVES!

:cf:

Come into the fold, my brother.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

once ya go Aves, ya never go back. i use it for all my filling needs, large andsmall gap, as well as smoothing surface blemishes and sculpting as well.

....not that i've done much sculpting mind you...
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

USSARCADIA wrote:Like Vader says, grab some Bondo spot putty. That's all I use for most filling needs(MagicSculp for heavy filling/build-up) and its dirt cheap.
I am a body man by trade, never thought of using the spot putty, I have a tube of it out in my garage, I will give that a try.

Ashton
vaderman

Post by vaderman »

Let us know how it works out.

Scott
Do or Do Not....There is No Try!

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Read through the aves posts in the sticky fillers forum. You can get a very smooth surface with Aves, it seems much easier than milliput. Epoxy putties also will not shrink unlike solvent-based putties. It's also weight-bearing for larger projects.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Aves is also machineable. I've chucked rolled cylinders into my lathe and turned them. They shape very nicely.
Abolish Alliteration
Woody

Post by Woody »

Kylwell wrote:Aves is also machineable. I've chucked rolled cylinders into my lathe and turned them. They shape very nicely.
Interesting. Does turning reveal any pockets or bubbles?
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones