Tamiya Surface Primer roughly equal to Mr. Surfacer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

macfrank

Tamiya Surface Primer roughly equal to Mr. Surfacer

Post by macfrank »

I recently ran out of Mr. Surfacer 1000 and just couldn't find it in stock anywhere online. So, I gave Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer a try. It's a lot like Mr. Surfacer 1000 - same color, same filling capability, etc. It smells differently, so it may use a different solvent, but it comes off nicely with denatured alcohol.

It's a good replacement/option if Mr. Surfacer 1000 isn't available. I haven't tried spraying it, though.

There are rattle can and a white version available, but I haven't tried them.

Frank
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Thanks for the info... always nice for folks to know that they have options.
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

That is good to know as Mr Surfacer is scarce lately. I used to get it from Best1 Hobby but they seem to have closed up shop. Thanks for the test results. I'll see if Hobby People has the Tamiya stuff.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Tamiya's primer is re-badged Gunze Mr.Surfacer. Just like their airbrushes are re-badged Iwatas.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Blappy wrote:Tamiya's primer is re-badged Gunze Mr.Surfacer. Just like their airbrushes are re-badged Iwatas.
WRONG, they simply come from the same factory and are packaged differently.

The "Factory" in japan produces airbrushes and compressors for Tamiya, Iwata, Gunze, Wave, Olympus, Holstein, BB Rich,etc。

You just pay a different price depending on name put on goods. Same as for electronic goods and t-shirts in europe. Name-brands and no-name brands come of the same assembly-line.

In short most of the goods sold worldwide come from a few factories and simply have put different labels put on.

Same way most model supplies are repackaged industrial/medical/etc supplies with a jacked up price.

Neither of which is a secret.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Zen-Builder wrote:
Blappy wrote:Tamiya's primer is re-badged Gunze Mr.Surfacer. Just like their airbrushes are re-badged Iwatas.
WRONG, they simply come from the same factory and are packaged differently.

The "Factory" in japan produces airbrushes and compressors for Tamiya, Iwata, Gunze, Wave, Olympus, Holstein, BB Rich,etc。

You just pay a different price depending on name put on goods. Same as for electronic goods and t-shirts in europe. Name-brands and no-name brands come of the same assembly-line.

In short most of the goods sold worldwide come from a few factories and simply have put different labels put on.

Same way most model supplies are repackaged industrial/medical/etc supplies with a jacked up price.

Neither of which is a secret.
Well phrase it however you want. Like I said, it's the same stuff.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

That's great to know, since it's easier to find than Mr. Surfacer and I don't have an auto paint store nearby that carries the Dupont 131S primer (probably don't need it in gallons, either).
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Really? Any place where we could see equivalencies? For instance the Tamiya "XX" is the Iwata "YY."

I appreciate the help.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote: Really? Any place where we could see equivalencies? For instance the Tamiya "XX" is the Iwata "YY."
Also interested in that info.
I know that most of the AB from the "Factory" can share spares.

A friend bought an olympus crown cap for his Iwata.