Heating a paint booth in winter?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jonas Calhoun

Heating a paint booth in winter?

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Gang, in the new house, I've got to paint out in the garage. Not a huge deal, I did that 2 houses ago.

However, this time I've got a nice spray booth vented to the outside. I'm a little worried about humidity and temperature though.

I'm thinking of putting a 60-100W incandescent light bulb inside the booth for a bit of heat while I'm spraying and while it's drying. Turn it on 15 minutes before I'm ready to go, leave it on a half hour or so while it's drying, then bring into the house (I spray acrylics except for primer).

Should I also worry about humidity? How to fix that within the confines of my booth?

Anything I'm missing? The bulb will be wired directly into the switch for the booth, it'll be on the top inside, so I won't hit it with a model or my hands...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

In the winter, I wouldn't worry about humidity - unless you need to increase the rH of the booth...

I paint in the basement, while cool in the winter, it's not cold.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Well, I'm stuck on the planet Utah...high desert, not a lot of humidity normally. But when it's raining/snowing, I figured there'd be a bit more humidity than I'd want.

Or would the light bulb make me not worry about it?

Dan
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Sounds like you need to sacrifice the garage in favor of converting it into a finished (read climate controlled) hobby work room. :wink:
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Oh, the garage is in rough shape--it's probably got 1 year, 2 tops before it has to be replaced. At that time, I'll make it an oversized with room for my truck, a dedicated heated painting area, etc...I'm planning on being in this house for a while, and my wife's given me the go-ahead to start dreaming. Funds just won't allow it for another year or so though.

However, for the short term, I can't do that unfortunately. So I've got to look at band-aid solutions for now.

Dan
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

The answer to your question is that It cannot hurt to warm it up. You'll also want to make sure that your paint (be it spray or airbrush) be warm as well and your model needs to be warm as well when you paint it.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Ah--that's one detail I didn't think of.

So the plan is to keep everything in the house until it's ready to paint. Run out, paint, let dry, bring in as soon as it's dry to the touch, let cure inside the house. That sound good?

Dan
mech

Post by mech »

You could look into a small space heater. I picked up a 1500btu electric space heater at walmart last year. I used it to add additional heat to the garage. (the garage is under the house, cold, not freezing cold, but too cold to work in ya know?) It works beautifully. It's got a timer, temp setting and fan speed adjustments. IIRC I spent roughly $49 or $59 on it.
I guess it really depends on the size of the garage.

j

Oh it's electric too.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It dawns on me Dan, that they make some nice little heater pads for reptile tanks that might also give you a heating hand.
Abolish Alliteration
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

What? No open flame? :lol:

Seriously, Dan, if you have a 60W or 100W lightbulb in there, and leave the light on, you might be able to cure the paint in the booth. I'd leave the fan on while the bulb is on, if only to keep it from getting too hot and causing your projects to assume more, "interesting" shapes. :oops:

Just for the record, I'd try it with a junker kit first, just so yo don't wreck something valuable.
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Kylwell wrote:It dawns on me Dan, that they make some nice little heater pads for reptile tanks that might also give you a heating hand.
Went out and looked at 'em...the best I could do would be a 25 watt unit, which I imagine just won't be quite enough...however with two of them on the sides, that might be enough.

I'll try the lightbulb first, see how that goes. The reptile pads would be a lot less intrusive, that's for sure.

LDB--curing the paint...hadn't thought of that, but it might make a decent drying booth--I was just thinking of keeping the temps above 70 in there, hadn't thought about going a bit more.

I'm going to wire it up this weekend, I'll put a thermometer in there just to check how things go.

Dan
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Well, watch out if you have an exposed light bulb that suddenly gets paint on it.

BOOM

I've had it happen.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Jimi--good to know. Was it acrylics or enamels?

Dan