Fiber Optic Cable?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Tchail

Fiber Optic Cable?

Post by Tchail »

Does anyone remember the jacketed fiber optic cable that AMT used to sell with their Star Trek kits? (Such as the Enterprise-D and DS9).

Can anyone suggest where to get equivalent fiber optic cable?

There used to be a place called Todd's House of Fiber, but it doesn't seem to be around any more.

I have an old Star Destroyer model that I once intended to light with fiber optics.

It's been ten years since I started it, but I intend to finish the thing, once and for all.

Thanks,

-Tchail
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Go to Walmart....go to the lamp section....look for the cheap $5.00 battery powered fiber optic lamp, comes in a clear tube....you now have 1000 12 inch long fiber optic strands. :D You will also be blessed with a small watch battery powered thingy with a female plug on it half the size of a remote key fob. This has a watch battery and a try me now button. This plugged into the lamp base for customers to try the lamp. It's good for plugging LED's into to test.
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

Good call!
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Target sells an art's and crafts kit for kids that includes a bundle of fibers just like the regular lamps for about the same price, maybe cheaper. Find them in the Arts and Crafts department.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

Besides the ones I've found at "craft" stores I just recently bought a 'nightlite' at a grocery store. It also had the bundle of fibres but this one plugs into a 120V wall outlet. It caught my eye because it described itself as having "multi-color LEDs". I brought it home and plugged it in and was rather impressed to see successive colors changing and glowing! I took it apart wondering about the "multiple LEDs" and instead found just one, though quite large, and of course some circuitry. I need someone more versed in elctronics to explain how it accomplishes the rainbow of colors and how I might canibilize the parts for my usage?
Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half century!
talon

Post by talon »

it could be one of those multi-color LEDs that can display more than one color inside it. You can get RGB ones and such and I dont know all about them but I think it can mix the 3 colors to produce multiple colors besides those 3.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

The battery powered one I mention above is also a color change. It uses a cluster of three LEDs in the base, red, blue, and green. One of the nice things about this one is that the fiber optics are held together by a clear plastic collar at the bottom of the bundle that easily pulls out of the lamp base.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

There's a place out there called Fiber Optic Products:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/

Has anyone dealt with them?

I can't seem to find any contact info.

-Tchail
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

This stuff is cheap, at $5/10 feet and very similar to the fiber optic cable in the AMT kit.

You want the jacketed version - the jacket helps keep all the fibers in one place until you need them!

Frank
Scott Hasty

Re: Fiber Optic Cable?

Post by Scott Hasty »

Tchail wrote:Does anyone remember the jacketed fiber optic cable that AMT used to sell with their Star Trek kits? (Such as the Enterprise-D and DS9).

Can anyone suggest where to get equivalent fiber optic cable?

There used to be a place called Todd's House of Fiber, but it doesn't seem to be around any more.

I have an old Star Destroyer model that I once intended to light with fiber optics.

It's been ten years since I started it, but I intend to finish the thing, once and for all.

Thanks,

-Tchail
My wife just got me a E-D and the cable is in it. PM me if interested.
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
fokkerpilot

Post by fokkerpilot »

Opps, sorry duplicate link to Fiber Optics Products as seen above.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

I finally made an order with fiberopticproducts.com

On the whole, I was very impressed.

I placed an order on Thursday morning, and had the package in my hand by Friday.

They even changed their base shipping charge to reflect the actual cost.

As part of my order, I purchased 3 feet of their LG64-25 jacketed fiber optic cable.

This looks to be the same as that included with the AMT kits.

Cheers,

-Tchail
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Just my $0.02...

My lighting kit comes with that exact fiber, 3 ft to be exact. Available here...Starship Modeler Store or, if you want just the fiber, email me directly: johndavidcook@verizon.net

Thanks!

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Thanks John!

Out of curiosity, how much do you charge for just the cable?

-Tchail
Newbie Doobie

Fiberoptic wire

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Even though it's been mentioned before,click on my link. This takes you to ALL kinds of things that aren't available through other fiberoptic retailers. Check out the lighted sunglasses on the home page. Enjoy! :wink:
Last edited by Newbie Doobie on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

SpaceDuck wrote:... I need someone more versed in elctronics to explain how it accomplishes the rainbow of colors...
Easy peasy: just like the red-yellow-green LEDs of yesteryear were just two LEDs, one red, one green, built inside the same gob of resin, (when both were on you had yellow light) those multicolored LEDs are THREE LEDs, one red, one green and one blue, inside the same gob of resin, each independently powered, so they act like three separate LEDs, each being lit up independently and to varying amounts (you make white—ish— by lighting al three, yellow by lighting the red and the green, purple by lighting the blue and red, turquoise by lighting the blue and the green...).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.